PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 121
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Show 121

Here's the place to chat about Show 121

What geocaching / GPS games have you played?

dan_n_stef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: first reply?!

Do i really get the privilege of being the first one to post up a reply?! I'm still listening to the show but as soon as I'm done I'll be back for another!

Nochipra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

It really was a great show you two. Even with the computer problems you got a lot of info out, I'm impressed.

dan_n_stef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: the real response this time

Just finished the show and itís another great one! The secret guestís hobby/occupationÖ..Is he a hook sharpener? Cannon ball polisher? Peg leg carver? Parrot trainer? Map maker!! I mean cartographer! Thatís gotta be what he is!

By the way, there is another part of the forum running where I mentioned my etrex legend thatís on the blink. I sent them an email asking why they would charge $99 to fix a gps that now only costs $120-$150? I also mentioned that it started taking its dive while using it in Iraq. So I donít know what convinced them, but they are going to refurbish my GPSr for me even though its WAY out of warranty! (here comes the shameless plug for Garmin) I had the pleasure of dealing with the same representative every time I sent them a message and the responses were always fast and helpful. I highly recommend Garmin GPSrs not just because of the quality of their units but also the support personnel! All that to say, donít pitch your old unit, see about having it repaired and then youíll have one to use as a backup or to verify and triangulate positions or to hand off to your muggle buddy in your ďcachevangilismĒ attempts!

Nochipra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I agree about recommending garmin gps receivers. We just got the Garmin nuvi 350 a couple of months ago mainly for traveling but it works great for geocaching too because you can put in the cache coordinates as well. You can go from auto mode to pedestrian mode in no time. It is not really made for the rugged cachers but for us casual cachers who only cache once in a while it works great.

AV Dezign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Pro Magellan series

I just wanted to mention that the Magellan mentioned on the show was actually part of the Professional Series of GPS, we are talking here of sub-meter (with personal accuracy station) units in the thousands of dollars, between 2,000$ and 5,000$ depending on the unit More info here:

http://pro.magellangps.com/en/

Not really something to use for geocaching, unless you have a lot of money to spare. Smile

When it absolutely has to get there faster:
Stargate P4573 Quebec

Criswell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:

Obviously, Criswell plays the Cache-U-Nuts games, as I mentioned under show 107.1. All games require 16 cache requirements to earn a map piece, and then solving a puzzle revealed on the map.

Current ranking as of today:

Coin Quest - 585th place with 15 map pieces.
Hermit's Quest For Gold - 558th place - FINISHED!
Orient Express Quest - 473nd place with 14 map pieces.
Modern Day Outlaws - 288th place with 11 map pieces.

The more requirements you complete, the tougher the game gets, as you whittle away the easy options, leaving the hardest ones for last.

The only hint I can give here is in the Modern Day Outlaws Game - If you're as poor a finder as I am, don't pick the outlaw to chase until you have the cache logged. Otherwise, you may be stuck chasing the same outlaw for a very long time. "Rass'n fark'n Angel Crazy Quilt Stealer fass'n rark'n."

Thanks to Mac Caching, I can easily pull out all of the caches that meet the requirements, and that's made these games far easier. I purchased a registration very soon after.

Last edited by Criswell on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 4 times in total

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

Arrr...me guess for de hobby of yer future guest be swordmaker or sword collector. Am I right matey?? Congrats to the two winners of the geocaching books. I was amazed at how Sonny was able to go back in time to interview Ryan. If I had a time machine like that, I would get the coords for a bunch of caches and go back in time to just minutes after they were released. I would of course buy the time machine model that always me to enter in GPS coordinates as well. It would be an FTF Frenzy! Of course, this might disturb the geocaching time continium and who knows how it might impact geocaching back in the present. What if...*gasp*...geocaching ceases to exist?

I haven't had the luxury of playing any geocaching games but they sound like fun. BTW, I noticed there wasn't a link to the FTF card game site on Podcacher.com. It was easy enough to find in Google though. Nice show S&S.

Criswell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth

"In Greek mythology, the Labyrinth (Gk. λαβύρινθος labyrinthos) was an elaborate structure constructed for King Minos of Crete and designed by the legendary artificer Daedalus to hold the Minotaur, a creature that was half man and half bull and which was eventually killed by the Athenian hero Theseus."

Some labyrinths are more "alive" than others.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k1MHY_AFNAM

imfrog2002

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

Hey guys! Listened to the show, and you were right! I DID hear about Cach-u-nuts. I can't understand half of them, but I love the CachingPlace games, even though I've never finished one. Wink

GCF SLC FTW! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

dmace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

Great show again!!!
The FTF-game sounds like an old game called bicycle, in which you had to race on your bicycle to the finish and others could dodge you by playing things like a flat tire.
Later this same games was renewed by using cars, which had to race etcetcetc...

It's the same game, but adding geocaching is a nice twist.

For the hobby of the guest next show???
He/she makes/collects artificial limbs.

Keep on casting!

Dmace

xpunkx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Another good show...sounds like the FTF game is good for those cold winter *cough* *cough* i did say cold winter days that the rest of us not in Sunny Sandy Calli get to have. When it is nice and cold out and you cant get to the caches that are in the snow....

geocachingpodcast.info - The First LIVE weekly podcast about geocaching

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

pacholik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Would the guest for the next Show be Capt Jeff? Maybe a ship builder?

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, some really good guesses on the occupation of the guest on the next show ...

Someone on these forums guessed pretty close ...

'nuf sed

JJG10101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Everything iPod.

I've seen some of the iPod photos over at the "lounge." They're very cool! Ah, the things you can do with an iPod. That's a great site, BTW. I like how they do iPod "autopsies." Close-up photos of the innards, and all that. Shocked Question Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: