PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 131
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Show 131

Chime in and continue the discussion of Show 131 here!

bumanfam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:

WHAT!?!? Another show!?!? You guys rock. . . off I go!

imfrog2002

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Oh great. I've been way too busy. I'm still listening to 129! *plugs in headphones and tries to catch up*

GCF SLC FTW! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bumanfam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Grrr. Been a while since we've had surround sound in the bumanfam household. Our poor system has crashed. I don't mean the receiver, I mean the receiver, the VCR (I know, what's that?), the 5 disc DVD changer, the single DVD player, the TV, and the speakers themselves (well, one anyway). It seems our electronics have been failing us one-by-one for some time now. I've been procrastinating buying, looking for that perfect mix of features and price, and, frankly, looking for hi-def since analog makes no sense anymore. I want my surround sound back!

bumanfam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Love the Tyvek tip, but a word of caution if you're a strict rule follower: if you get the envelopes from the USPS, especially on the website, you must agree to use them specifically for mailing purposes and any other use may cause you problems. Of course, we could all mail something to each other in the Tyvek envelopes, then we could cut them up, because they'd now be trash!

House builders use this material in 8' rolls, and usually throw lots away on jobsites. It's the same stuff you see as housewrap, over the exterior walls before the siding or stucco is applied.

I get the life insurance policies I write in Tyvek envelopes, so I get tons of them - may have to save and use them. . .

bumanfam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Well, I'm done listening now, and had one more thought:

Sonny, & Sandy, you give us so many great reasons to keep tuning in to the show - quality, content, contests. All of that will keep me coming back. But, for me personally, the segments you do on San Diego have special meaning. Having spent 6 years of my life there, you remind me that there are so many wonderful things I've forgotten or let slip my mind. I really enjoy re-visiting (virtually) so many cool places I used to frequent.

A few specifically: Mission Bay, Belmont Park, MTRP, Balboa Park, Coronado, etc, etc. Thanks for taking me back to what was, for a while, home!

SquamLoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:

What a great episode. I'd heard the Tyvek tip, but promptly forgot it, and now need it, as a couple of my more artisanal caches have slightly damp logs even as we speak.

The fact that you could overlay maps with Google Earth is a brand new concept to me, and I can't wait to implement that one.

And your reconnaissance mission was indeed fun to listen to. The spontaneous green flash/flash mob connection was wonderful—I, like Sandy, assumed Sonny had already thought of it, and unless you're really good actors, that was a sincere moment of creativity that we heard right there on the spot.

I can well imagine how bumanfam feels about your home town... If you lived in Seattle, I'd be feeling the same way, as I lived there for nine years and miss it dearly. And while I've never been to San Diego, your show has me developing an attachment to it.

Lastly, great to throw in an FTF hunt! Keep on caching!

Cachet d'un cacheur sachant cacher.

SquamLoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

P.S. Did you re-record the finishing theme? It sounded great!

Cachet d'un cacheur sachant cacher.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:

SquamLoon wrote:
... your reconnaissance mission was indeed fun to listen to. The spontaneous green flash/flash mob connection was wonderful—I, like Sandy, assumed Sonny had already thought of it, and unless you're really good actors, that was a sincere moment of creativity that we heard right there on the spot.

Lastly, great to throw in an FTF hunt! Keep on caching!

Not acting, it was genuinely spontaneous at the time.

SquamLoon wrote:
P.S. Did you re-record the finishing theme? It sounded great!

Yes I did a while back. We've used it a couple times before and thought we should drop it in on occasion.

bass_chaz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Tyvek is VERY Expensive and I have printed on it in the course of my job as a printing press operator.

It would be a bit pricey to print a quantity of logs to use and you it would be difficult to produce and actually make money on..

I CAN, however, if your interested, make some logs up IF there is enough interest.

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

A great show as always but I wanted to chime in on the whole Tyvek idea. While I think it is a great idea and probably works great for waterproof logs, I really don't think we should advocate using U.S. postal supplies as options for cachers.

While they may be free at the post office, we ultimately pay for them when the cost of postage goes up. Just a thought.

I look forward to checking out how to create a digital map with Google.

Very Happy

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

CoronaKid wrote:
A great show as always but I wanted to chime in on the whole Tyvek idea. While I think it is a great idea and probably works great for waterproof logs, I really don't think we should advocate using U.S. postal supplies as options for cachers.

While they may be free at the post office, we ultimately pay for them when the cost of postage goes up. Just a thought.

I look forward to checking out how to create a digital map with Google.

Very Happy

I think Bumanfam said something similar and I agree. Abusing a system (like the USPO service) does ultimately cost us. Each of you will have to decide how you feel about it, but the info is out there.

Thanks for the feedback! We sincerely appreciate your perspectives on things just like this!

AV Dezign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:

For those who want to pay, you can get 200 sheets of all weather printable 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper by "Rite In The Rain" for about 25$. You can make a lot of log books out of that.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=8511&Category=f7fe81e4-4379-4aae-9408-f94248b72793

When it absolutely has to get there faster:
Stargate P4573 Quebec

bumanfam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:

AV Dezign wrote:
For those who want to pay, you can get 200 sheets of all weather printable 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper by "Rite In The Rain" for about 25$. You can make a lot of log books out of that.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=8511&Category=f7fe81e4-4379-4aae-9408-f94248b72793

A costly option - but it's been on my caching wish list (looks like Santa's list - very long!) for a while now. When I won a draw from the prize vault a while back, I chose the WITR logbook. I immediately disassembled it and began using the paper in other configurations.

pacholik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Check out this site. http://www.waterproof-paper.com/adventure-paper.html

I have used the adventure paper before and it worked great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: