PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 204
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Show 204

Discuss Show #204 here ...

Riverwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Headed to download now!

Riverwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:

or so I thought...it's not there!

Sheesh Sonny, I knew from listening to the podcast that you liked to tease the listeners mercilessly, but this is just plain wrong! lol

bumanfam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject:

It's up now! Downloading. . .

Caching Scout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Downloading Very Happy

NevadaWolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject:

:*very* curious wolf:

Downloading!! Slow...dialup...connection! ARGH!

Tizzie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject:

I'm listening to the show as I am getting ready for work. I laughed at the part about toilet paper. I have tried something similar a couple of times. After replacing a cache I was listening out for muggles and couldn't hear or see any, so I stepped out onto the path and there was a group of about 6 or 7 people who jumped as high as I did. I apologised for startling them, then as the children in the group looked into the bushes I said "Call of nature." Not only was it a good excuse for being there, it definitely put them off going into the bushes to investigate. Very Happy

NevadaWolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject:

First, thank you for the mention of our Geocaching Beginners List. Puzzleman and I sat down on the phone one night as there's a ton of new cachers here and, because of my whole town notify watch, I kept seeing their DNFs. We felt we had to do something to help. The list also goes with our bi-monthly Carson Coffee meets that are unpublished get-togethers so the newbies can meet the more experienced cachers without the chaotic energy of an event.

Ok, topic response:

Team GeoDragon and I were hiking Cathedral Gorge in south central Nevada. Absolutely beautiful .75 mile hike. Got within a couple hundred feet and discovered...no pen.

Trekrr finds a mini twig along the trail and scoops up a small ball of red dirt. The cache was a round Altoids tin, so the lid became a mixing bowl for red dirt/clay and water. The twig was sharpened, dipped into the mud, and the log signed.

After washing out the lid and letting the log dry, we replaced everything and headed back.

I've carried *several* pens on me in various pockets and packs ever since. Very Happy

Team 57

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject:

Downloading now.

roll1959

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: No Writing instruments while caching.

I found I have a match case that has a loop on one end for a lanyard, that is metal. I found a golf-pencil and I just clipped off an end and measured to see if would fit, then had to clip a little bit more off so it would fit (I forgot it's measure twice-cut once Embarassed) I was able to loop the case over my GPS lanyard, so I will have it with me.
I had a problem once with it being cold, and the ink wouldn't work in my pen I had with me, so I just "chicken-scratched" my name.

Orange&Blue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

Great discussion about "emergency" pens. I have a stylus pen in my Treo at all times so that is a nice backup - you can buy them for most any PDA or smartphone.

Also, traded cache swag once for something like this and keep it folded inside a cache notebook. Ours doesn't look like an airplane but it's the same idea. It would make a neat signature item if you could get something printed on it.

Roarmeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: "Emergency" pen

There is a problem with you home-made micro pen. The ink tube needs to be open at one end so the the air pressure can be equalized. Otherwise the ball point pen will stop working after a little writing. Better to use a pen that is nearly consumed and snip the tube just longer than the ink itself. This will keep it working as an pen.

I don't use an "emergency" pen but would rather have a pencil. Pencils will work at all times of the year and when you live in a place where 5-6 months consists of winter it is important to be able to actually write with a pencil instead of scratch with a frozen pen. I would sooner conceal a golf pencil in my hat or on my person than a pen which can leak and cause all kinds of problems.

The person who put the pencil in the battery compartment should be careful as the loose graphite from the pencil can get into the electronics and cause havoc. I would sooner be without a pencil altogether than loose a $300 GPSr. A writing utensil can be kept practically anywhere, why tempt fate with this practise?

bumanfam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject:

You know, you've already been to a GeoWoodstock - why not consider a trip to Missouri for MOGA? I happen to know some really cool folks ho plan to go and might be able to offer some sort of ameneties for our illustrious show hosts. . .

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject:

Golf pencils are a great idea. Anyone have a good source?

Although we'd love to go to MOGA, I don't think it's going to happen this year. It's both a time and $ issue. Ah someday when I'm independently wealthy, to travel the world and geocache!!!

roll1959

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:

Pencils used for Promotional Golf Pencils w/ Erasers (Erasers are a real plus when I golf Embarassed ) at L & R Enterprise. You can have your logo imprinted directly on the pencil.
www.landrenterprise.com.
Office Depot have them, and Office Max. (Not sure if any of those business are still open)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: