PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Astronomy related caches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The OFFICIAL Show Builder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a cacher, would you be interested in doing this?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Author

astromut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Astronomy related caches

As a fellow cacher, interested in astronomy I was interested in passing along this idea to you to include into the show to inform your listeners about this years International Year of Astronomy.

http://www.astronomy2009.org

I was hoping that cachers might like to create astronomy related caches, perhaps a puzzle or mystery cache and include astronomy related swag. For example, two years ago I created the Astrocache. It was located at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory in Victoria, BC Canada. I had included astronomical related swag and it was getting great reviews.

I am hoping that other cachers around the world might be interested in doing the same theme but on a different angle. Relate them to the International Year of Astronomy.

The International Year of Astronomy 2009 is a global effort initiated by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and UNESCO to help the citizens of the world rediscover their place in the Universe through the day - and night-time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery.

Cachers could place their cache anywhere in the world with the IYA name or logo on it.

E.G The IYA Cache (location)

Happy caching and clear skies.

Astromut

TripCyclone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I've seen some astronomy related geocaches. A local cacher/astronomer had a series of "Constellation caches", but some have been archived since first placed. I recently saw one where the first stage had a list of coordinates. After entering them, you compared the map to a list of "cache-stellations" to identify which coordinates is the final location.

Astronomy related caches are sometimes hard to pull off if you really want to highlight the sky. However, I've had good success with astronomy related events. Last fall, another geocacher and I set up binoculars and telescopes at a regular event and people seemed to really enjoy it. With that success, I recently held an event (GC1RTR5) at the same site as the Nebraska Star Party. Many really enjoyed seeing views of Saturn, deep-sky-objects, and the stunning view of the Milky Way we had. It's unfortunate that we only had my telescope as we ended up with easily 30 - 40 people showing up. This was just a side event for the main event the next day and if the main event is held again next year, I'll probably do a second astronomy event as it went over so well.

Right now, I'm also planning a Halloween event with another geocacher/astronomer and we have already booked the local observatory with full staff to compliment the event.

TripCyclone

bumanfam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject:

For space-related caches, check out some of Iowa Tom's caches. His interest in geocaching came from using a GPSr to help him position himself to see the passings of the International Space Station and Irridium satelites. He's put together a pretty cool Waymarking game related to coordinating efforts with another player to spot the ISS on the same pass (but you have to be 300 miles apart!) Just pop into his profile and take a look at some of his caches - they're a ton of fun, especially if you are into science in any way. Also, his website link in his profile will take you to his section of the Iowa Geocachers Organization's forums. You could spend months in there reading up on all the cool stuff that goes through Tom's head! I've linked to his stuff in the past.

TeamAstro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject:

If you would like some caching Astronomical goodness, why not check out TeamAstro’s home page. We have released a stack of astronomically related caches – it all started back in 2002.

We have in fact set up the worlds largest SCALE MODEL of the solar system. The Guinness Book or records has our details, and is waiting for an appropriate category for us to claim this record (caching has not happened in their record books yet….. ).

Go to http://www.assa.org.au/geocaching/ for details, and check out our profile for links to the cache pages. (go to www.assa.org.au to check out our astronomical society - we are involved in the 2009 International Year of Astronomy and have many events for the public.... they can even try these caches too).

Roarmeister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I have a cache posted in Eastend, Saskatchewan, Canada next to a community owned and operated observatory called "Observe, Seek and You Shall Find". The observatory was started as a hobby by a local amateur and has been kept up and is open to the public.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ff0b7053-3aa6-4dcf-8b24-2de8afd61344

To celebrate the Astronomical year, a provincial park nearby also created a number of unofficial caches in the park (7 to be exact) that celebrate the year with interpretive caches that discuss astronomy. The park (Cypress Hills Inter-provincial Park) has been declared a dark sky preserve and fund raising is well underway to construct an observatory in the park. I took the opportunity to contribute to the project by donating by purchasing "a star" and dedicated it to my nephew who recently passed away from leukemia. Construction on the observatory will begin later this year or early next year as the funding progresses.

Note: the park also has an annual summer star party which I apparently just missed on a recent trip to the park. http://homepage.usask.ca/~ges125/rasc/starparty.html[/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The OFFICIAL Show Builder All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: