PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 248
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Show 248

Where is it? It's closing in on midnight there in Sunny San Diego, and still no sign of the show!!

I am a MARATHONER!! June 19, 2010

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject:

Show 248 will be a true Monday show, due to an extremely busy weekend and a very late arrival home from the Desert. Look for it Monday evening, Pacific Time. Thanks for understanding.

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:

Sounds good. Was just wondering if you all were taking a Christmas Break from the show.

jimwall2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

Glad to know it isn't just me going crazy. Will patiently wait!

okvalle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject:

Monday Evening, that's probably Tuesday morning here where I'm at, Surprised but I don't mind waiting for the show. Wink

Have a nice Christmas everybody! Very Happy

Red Sky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject:

okvalle wrote:
Monday Evening, that's probably Tuesday morning here where I'm at, Surprised but I don't mind waiting for the show. Wink

It will be a nice morning surprise.

Team 57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Monday Show

Whew! I was getting scared there for a while. I need my fix... Laughing

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:

The show is now posted in iTunes and the show notes are on the site!! Thanks SSS!!

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject:

yipee downloading now

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject:

About the guy driving over the football field
It's easy to get caught up in the moment and do something stupid especially with friends. When it happens around here you usually hear someone say "Hold my beer and watch this." If you hear that you should get your cell phone out and be prepared to call 911. If the person lives through the ordeal he probably doesn't need anyone telling him he did something stupid as he is very aware of it. Hopefully his mistake was a lesson for others. Learn from other people's mistakes - you don't have time to make them all yourself.

As for rehiding caches better
I agree with the guy's intent, but there are times when a cache needs to be hidden "better." Don't move the cache. Place it where it was found. But if was obvious that it was covered in rocks, sticks, or whatever, then I think it is okay to recover. Sometimes the previous cacher just didn't do a good job. Sometimes critters help unhide the cache.

I contacted a cacher new to the area that hid a cache in a flood plain. The cacher didn't know it was a flood plain. The cacher moved the cache up a few feet into a spot better for the cache and also in a much neater place to find.

vhasler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Show 248 feedback

Unusual container: My wife still laughs remembering when I reached into the end of a guard rail in WV - and then quickly dropped the cache - as it was a large spider! I normally check where my hands are going, so saw a black rubber container - but whoa, on seeing it out in the open.

Rehiding containers: The discussion needs to define what "hiding better" means. Doing a better job of recovering a cache with the geopile (I typically add leaves to fill in the spaces between leaves) is one action. But moving the cache to a "better location" should be left to the cache owner. I recently had to "find" one of my own caches as it moved 50 ft to what I consider a worse location. The second problem was that its approval by the state park was location specific, thus could not move without consulting the naturalist. I would appreciate a suggestion on a better nearby location, but want to decide whether to move it myself. I have some caches hidden very well so relocating might actually make them less of a challenge than I was trying to provide.

Thanks for another solid show. One of the few podcasts I actually repeat listening to many of the shows to obtain more of the goodness.

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Shortcut may cost geocachers ...

... but did they at least get the FTF? Rolling Eyes Wink

Will have to listen to the show and get caught up on all the geocaching goodness. Very Happy

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:

Good show, and too damm funny about them dudes in the car that got stuck in the muddy ballfield. I did a little research and found that they may have been seeking cache GC1FB58, New Phila Ballfields. There is a log on that cache on the same day the story linked from the show notes from a cacher named mrtreats. His log says, "found it with the guys." No logs online from any of the other guys though.

The main thing that brought me back though to comment more on this show was the number of times Sandy and Sonny mentioned using "common sense" when discussing this story. I have some late breaking news.

COMMON SENSE, IS DEAD!!! Actually, this is old news. I know it was sometime ago when I first read the following. In looking for it to post again, I found something that said this was first published in 1998.

THE OBITUARY OF COMMON SENSE
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, ĎCommon Senseí, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
why the early bird gets the worm;
life isnít always fair;
and, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (donít spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses, and as criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldnít defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust. His wife, Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility, his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 step-brothers; I Know My Rights; I Want It Now; Someone Else Is To Blame; Iím A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing

KEEP ON CACHIN!!

radDad1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Geocaching Merit Badge

I haven't listened to the show yet but saw there were links to the 100 year BSA celebration and geocaching. I just read that in 2010 BSA will officially introduce geocaching as a merit badge which will be a great way for local cachers to get involved with BSA and should get a lot of boys into the sport.

The link is http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/1001/d-trailhead.html halfway down the page it lists geocaching as a new merit badge for next year.

I am planning on starting the cache to eagle series in my district here in North Phoenix Arizona.

Bigguy In Texas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Howdy!
I finally got to listen to this weeks show (248)!
As a cache hider with many hides (260 to date). I have had many moved to a "better" location.

I vividly remember the first time it happened. I thought the cache had been muggled. I contacted the last few finders and asked if any one of them had moved it and sure enough they had. They fessed up that they had moved it a bit higher than where they found it. When I went back and checked, yep, it was still there - just about 4 inches out of my reach. The reason I had not seen it when I looked, is that it was in a sorta better place. I ended up leaving it there and using a step stool when it needed maintance. I don't think they meant to do that, they were just taller than I am.

BTW, what was that sound at the end of the broadcast? My guess is that either the zoo animals were restless or Sonny was practicing his Halloween laugh!

Merry Christmas to all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: