PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
New Power Trail in CA 500 Caches
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The Geocaching Hub
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: New Power Trail in CA 500 Caches

Here is one of them GC24RF0 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8394640f-550c-43e2-a0a4-5b5a9e852fd5

From Baker to the state line.

Here is a small view of some of the caches. They are .1 from each other all alone the 15 Freeway.

addisonbr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject:

That's interesting. I was under the impression that reviewers were discouraging power trails over the last couple of years. Do you have any insights into the story behind this one?

pacholik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:

Nope I was surprised to see it as well. This goes against the guidelines but they seem to change a lot. They are all hidden under a group name too.

addisonbr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:

I'll bet you it was placed so that people could break the record for caches in a 24-hour period, which IIRC is around 500.

ChildOfAtom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:

I guess not being a numbers guy shows a bit here because that seems like ZERO fun to me.

"Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter culture?"

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject:

ChildOfAtom wrote:
I guess not being a numbers guy shows a bit here because that seems like ZERO fun to me.

I completely agree with you. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if you did it with a group of cachers that you are good friends with and somebody else did all the mindless start/stop driving.

One other thought that I just had. Isn't this also very dangerous? I know that stretch of the 15 freeway quite well and people drive VERY fast around there. I don't think it's very smart to make all those stops along that stretch of the 15 freeway. Rolling Eyes

pacholik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:

The caches are not on the 15 FWY. They are on side and frontage roads. That is why 4x4 and high clearance is recommend.

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:

pacholik wrote:
The caches are not on the 15 FWY. They are on side and frontage roads. That is why 4x4 and high clearance is recommend.

Oh, okay that's much better and good to know. I was beginning to think that the reviewers out there had completely lost their minds. I still agree with ChildOfAtom though. It just doesn't really appeal to me.

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:

Not only on frontage roads - on frontage roads of high-voltage power lines. In fact, it looks like an awful lot of them have been placed at the towers themselves! Talk about a real "power trail"!

I'm surprised that this series was approved. I know that the power towers in Florida have very large and visible No Trespassing signs on 'em. I cannot imagine that the power company wants geocachers poking around on their equipment.

-eP

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject:

The power trails I've done were limited to 100 caches. They weren't all down the same road. And they were't all 500-600 ft across. The last two that I did would have been completely boring except that the scenery changed, and the names of the caches were all different. That made a difference at the end of the day (which I'll come back to). Most of the containers were camoed film cannisters.

Although I had a great time with an awesome person, and saw a lot of neat sites, it would have been hard to come up with original logs for these caches had they not all have indiviual names. Sure, there was the series name, OOPS and LIH (which stands for Leave It Home), but they had other names after that. I will always remember 1,000 gallon water heater. There 200 caches total between those two series. I got to write 200 individual logs. Where they read? I don't know. But I sure felt better writing those logs than 1 good one at the begining and 99 TFTCs after that.

pacholik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Well it looks like there is going to be 500 more on the NV

They just keep adding to the trail. There are now at least 60 more on the NV side now. So it looks like there is going to be a trail that is 1000 caches long.

Team 57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Power Trails

Electric Water Boy wrote:
The power trails I've done were limited to 100 caches. They weren't all down the same road.

My longest power trail was 12... Laughing

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Well it looks like there is going to be 500 more on the

pacholik wrote:
They just keep adding to the trail. There are now at least 60 more on the NV side now. So it looks like there is going to be a trail that is 1000 caches long.

This is the best argument I've ever heard for the Ignore All Caches Hidden by a User feature.

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Well it looks like there is going to be 500 more on the

ePeterso2 wrote:
pacholik wrote:

This is the best argument I've ever heard for the Ignore All Caches Hidden by a User feature.

Yep, but to be honest I mostly blame the reviewer for allowing this nonsense to continue. I realize that they are volunteers at the end of the day and I do appreciate all the time and effort they put in, but I think anyone would agree that this power trail should never have been approved. I can now fully understand why they needed to put in rules against Power Trails. Just imagine if you had just a handful of cachers placing power trails like this in your neighborhood. It would quickly suck all of the joy out of caching.

Team 57

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well it looks like there is going to be 500 more on the

CoronaKid wrote:
I can now fully understand why they needed to put in rules against Power Trails. Just imagine if you had just a handful of cachers placing power trails like this in your neighborhood. It would quickly suck all of the joy out of caching.

Unless if you are a numbers cacher, in which case you would want a power trail versus hiking through the woods to only get 3 or 4 caches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The Geocaching Hub All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: