PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 260
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Show 260

Chat about the show here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Downloading now. Thanks

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Fell asleep and missed any shot at FTP today. Looks like it wasn't much of a race anyhow.

I am a MARATHONER!! June 19, 2010

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Great show. I had forgotten what date I had submitted. So it was a nice surprise. Yes the caches are on the bottom of the Power Poles not on the roads near them.

Also we did have Pie but for the 1 extra hour of daylight for daylight saving day. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f950a2ca-5642-4e21-b4bd-93e19aff7773

Thanks for the show. The only shame is it goes by way to fast.

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject:

Almost forgot about this today, as I don't normally work on a Monday, so it's with me on my travels

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject:

A 3-month-old geocacher writes a manifesto and is taken seriously? Yikes! Do not feed the attention troll!

The most accurate and important part of that entire post is this: The author is absolutely correct that giving money away for Free Parking is unnecessary and totally unbalances the game. Don't do it!

addisonbr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

ePeterso2 wrote:
The most accurate and important part of that entire post is this: The author is absolutely correct that giving money away for Free Parking is unnecessary and totally unbalances the game. Don't do it!

I could NOT agree with you more.

sumajman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Power Trails

Although power trails are discouraged in Groundspeak rules, it is in many ways like an LPC. If you want to do them, you go do them. If you don't, you you avoid the Wal-mart parking lot caches. I don't have a problem with a power trail. Most of the time I would opt for the mountain climb and the scenic view over the numbers. There are, however, some days when I would head down the power trail a little way. Laughing

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject:

Great show as always! Thanks for summarizing the "manifesto" because there's no way I would waste my time reading that. I started reading it and couldn't make it past the first paragraph. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I agree that someone with 3 months caching experience might not be qualified. And yes, I also agree about his Free Parking comment. Very Happy

Here's my date prediction for 2 million active caches: April 1, 2010.

Why such a close date? Now that the NGA has opened up the flood gates for Power Trails I figure the world will soon be littered with them. Laughing It's also a good April Fool's joke.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:

The Power Trail
At one time in Texas there was no limit on the number of white bass you could catch. They're fun little fish to catch. But when you're done fishing and it's time to start cleaning those guys. Argh. Who wants to clean 100 little fish? This power trail could be fun for a while, but somewhere along the way you'll realize how much work it's going to be to log all those caches. After a while you'll stop writing a few sentences and get down to TFTC, and then you'll feel bad.

If I lived out near there I'd grab a few here and there each trip. I sure wouldn't want to do them all at once. Wouldn't even want to go for a record.

The Texas Challenge
I had so much fun at this thing. It would normally be a 3 to 3 1/2 drive from my apartment to San Angelo State Park. Going up took us 9 hours and coming back was at least 7 or 8. Caching both ways. Spent all day Friday caching. The Challenge itself was 4 hours of caching your guts out. And of course we cached after that. I picked up in the neighborhood of 120 caches. Could have done more, but weren't in any big rush. Definitely different caching in that area than San Antonio. As I said in the report - everything out there has thorns.

Next year the event will be run by the southeast Texas group. Can't wait!

JJG10101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Point taken.

ePeterso2 wrote:
A 3-month-old geocacher writes a manifesto and is taken seriously? Yikes! Do not feed the attention troll!

Actually, I thought the manifesto raised a number of good points, namely:

* "Experience and Tenure Is No Excuse for Being a Jerk." True enough. Anyone that deletes another cacher's log without saying why is being childish.

* "The Description Should Be a Description." Unless the cache page is a puzzle (graphic), provide some sort of general info, would ya? I've seen plenty of "this spot needed a cache" descriptions. That's pretty much useless.

* "Theres a Hint Field. Use It." Again, this makes sense to me. I've seen a few (maybe more than a few) with either no hint or something like, "It's hidden." Gee thanks, I never could've figured that out.

And for the record, a newbie's point of view is worth a quick read. If we limit manifestos to experienced cachers, they'll develop bad habits long before anyone says something. We've got a cacher in this neck of the woods with hundreds of hides/finds. If cacher X had hints, good descriptions, and the like, people would appreciate seeing "cache hidden by X," instead of constantly berating this particular individual. Add to the fact that cacher X often has bad coords.. and well, you've got an experienced cacher that should really read the manifesto.

Free speech, it's always a good thing, even when you disagree with the subject matter. Wink Twisted Evil Wink

detourglr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

with the geocaching manifesto and also the power trail. I think you have to tread lightly...

One is that geocaching approved it.. I do think the approver was wrong for approval this. however the proper way to appeal this is to contact some of the higher ups at groudspeak. I have done this once and was pleased on how they handled it.. eventully the person and his caches where banned with no sign of return.. Yeah it was pretty bad and that is all I will say on it.

with the manifesto I think you have to be careful. Myself I think it is a way to get people cache the way he likes to cache. Which as you know they are different reasons why people like caching.. Some do for the numbers, some do for the experience, some just do it and dont care.

Myself I rather find a poorly place cache than no cache at all. if groundspeak removed every cache that somebody said they didnt like.. We would have no caches to find. When I began caching most of the time I have drive 20 miles to an area that had a good placement of caches to find. I surely dont want that again.

Like Sonny & sandy said if we followed this manifesto all the caches would be too easy.. (though a hint for a micro in the woods I would greatly like to have), but would ruin if the person wanted to make the cache extra hard.

Also the difficulty level tells you how hard the cache is to find.. Ok I better get off my soapbox.. this is one of my pet peeves in geocaching.

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject:

i found this interesting app called Air Sharing, its all about file sharing as it allows the iphone to read several file types, but why i got it is because i can upload all my caches that ive exported as html from gsak onto the phone and then always have them with me, cause sometimes just when you need to look up a cache you ont have signal. i used to have a 6 series nuvi and was able to upload all the caches as a point of interest with all the cache discriptions, but now i have the 1690 and it only gives you the basics of the cache, with no descriptions, so i was lost without it untill i found this app, so for now it does me good

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Point taken.

JJG10101 wrote:
Free speech, it's always a good thing, even when you disagree with the subject matter. Wink Twisted Evil Wink

Free speech is more important, but knowing which speech to listen to is more useful Smile

-eP

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject:

batsgonemad wrote:
i found this interesting app called Air Sharing ...

Just getting back into the forums. Been absent due to mom-apartment-work.

I've used this iphone app, but never thought about using it in this way. Clever. Thanks for sharing.

Also wanted to express my appreciation of thoughtful discussion in these forums. I think one of my favorite things (among many favorite things) is good discussion around topics where there is not always a right or wrong answer. Having different perspective can be a very good thing. It's an opportunity to grow. A chance to step away from conventional norms and consider other points of view. I think if discussions happen in a respectful and reflective way, truly much can be gained.

... at least that's what I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: