PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 265
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Show 265

Chat about the show here...

JJG10101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Me?

FTP? Could it be?? Question Exclamation Question

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Just listened - which means I won't be listeneing on the bus in the morning. Argh. Kind of like opening Christmas presents a few days early. Oh well.

My roving report... Shows why I appreciare so much that yall are doing this and not me. In my defense, I only had a small window to get that thing out as there were lots of noisy things going on and there were 10,000+ people out there (and that is no exaggeration). Probably the only time we'll ever see that as they limit the amount of people in the park because some kinds don't tolerate crowds.

I love to here the bloopers at the end. You guys do so well, but we all know you have to blow it once in a while. Trying to think what movie started the blooper stuff. Wasn't it Cannon Ball Run? Burt Reynolds usually beating on Dom Delouise?

Anyways, another great show!

ProsperoDK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to listen to the show when I get home from work this afternoon.

ProsperoDK/Ren

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Well my postcard is been posted tomorrow, 20th so look out for it not sure how long it takes

firennice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:

The show this week was a shock.. first that I heard my fellow cacher up the streets Scout cache series (that he still has a few to put out) and second later in the show Toja's 1000 cache at my series One cache to rule them all. Two local mentions in the same show. Congrats to him and Soul Dominator.

The first few cachers kept track of mileage to finish it, I think they were at around 200+ miles up and around the valley. Of course they were trying to get every one one as they came out, no real planning.

The scout series is great. Especially if you like hiking. I still have about 2/3rds of the caches remaining.

JMTBuzz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Another gem of a podcast! I especially enjoyed the Danish interview and hearing about beer after Geocaching! Thanks for putting my geocoin in the Podcacher Treasure Cache! And, being GT graduate, that yellow and black bug is not a bee, but a GA native Yellow Jacket. Buzz is the nickname of the GT mascot. Keep on caching!

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Danish Cachers in the field

On April 1st, we ran into several of these Danish Cachers south of Searchlight at a few caches - they were Vegas Bound. Knew that they were visiting in town because some of them had found one of our caches in the Palm Springs area a couple days prior.

Two things about this encounter we observed upon first meeting:

1) They were all really badly sunburned. Easy to do with fair skin.
2) Many of them were huddled around something on the ground. Walked up to see what all the fuss was about, expecting to see our 2nd rattlesnake of the year. Nope, it was a lizard but they were hesitant to touch it, thinking it might be poisonous? I picked it up and handed it to one of the teenagers to hold, explaining that a horned toad lizard isn't poisonous.

They were all very nice and proves we play an international game.

missourimule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Great show! Loved the interview with the Danish cachers. I hope to hear more about them in the future.

Wop and Jules story was great, too. I hope to hear that they ended up taking their honeymoon in a fantastic area!

Thanks also for the pointer on Morgan's Wonderland. I don't know if it will ever be an exception and become a cache, but I have to come right out and say that "have your picture taken with a handicapped kid" as a requirement just didn't sit right with me. Hopefully, if it becomes a cache, there will be some other requirement.

A fantastic show - and Sean's haircut really makes him look grown up. I remember seeing the very first photos of him in your arms. I can't believe he's grown so fast!

Webfoot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Great show.

I have to take issue with one thing that Sonny said about the honeymoon travel bug. What's wrong with the desert?

You said something about the travel bug going to someplace interesting. The desert is very interesting. It's all about how you approach it.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Webfoot wrote:
Great show.

I have to take issue with one thing that Sonny said about the honeymoon travel bug. What's wrong with the desert?

You said something about the travel bug going to someplace interesting. The desert is very interesting. It's all about how you approach it.

No offense intended my friend. I agree with you (living in So Cal) that the desert can be a beautiful place. I have some desert flower blooming photos to show for it too!

I was trying to think of the most inhospitable place to go and the Gobi came to mind where the temp can vary from 100 F and -45 F. Not a place I'd like to spend a honeymoon!

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject:

missourimule wrote:
Thanks also for the pointer on Morgan's Wonderland. I don't know if it will ever be an exception and become a cache, but I have to come right out and say that "have your picture taken with a handicapped kid" as a requirement just didn't sit right with me. Hopefully, if it becomes a cache, there will be some other requirement.

I was thinking that by doing so you would be interacting with the kid (or it could be an adult). What I wouldn't want is a picture of someone standing there with handicapped people in the background. Kind of defeats the purpose. Hopefully that sits better with as that explains what I was thinking a lot better than what came out of my mouth in my report. My mouth and brain don't seem to interact at the same pace... If you still don't like it, PM me as I'm curious.

I'm toying with the idea of an Earthcache there, but I have to see what kind of information is available in the area.

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject:

I think EWB has touched on exactly the sort of problem that caused virts to and ALRs be removed in the first place. Going beyond the definition of "Cache = Permission + Container + Log" makes things complicated for reviewers, owners, and finders.

On the other hand, Morgan's Wonderland is an excellent candidate for a waymark.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject:

I understand that argument.

It's been a while since I have have looked at waymarking.com or whatever it's called. But until it gets as easy to use and search for waymarks as GC is to use and search, I'll continue to ignore it. Plus, I really don't care to go find every McHamburger joint in town. The vast majority of virtuals I have found (if not all) have taken me to some really cool places. I can't think of a single one that didn't have something interesting to see or some inetersting fact to learn.

ePeterso2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I dunno ... I think waymarking is better and easier than most people think. For instance, if I go to the Waymarking.com home page and enter my zip code in the "Search Near" field (yes, it's really that easy), here's what I get:

A labyrinth
A few disc golf courses
A number of benchmarks (mostly logged by me), including the oldest surviving benchmark disk in my county
A number of monuments and historical markers, including a memorial to Flight 19 and the Bermuda Triangle
Several interesting fountains
A number of statues of the famous and not-so-famous
Several beautiful wall murals
The tallest structure in the county where I live
A time capsule
Museums of history, science, art, and culture
Several sundials
A compass rose
Several interesting sculptures
A library with really interesting architecture
The oldest movable bridge in my county
A botanical garden
Several buildings shaped like lighthouses
A wind harp
A Tequesta indian mound
A butterfly aviary
Fishing piers
Talking statues
Webcams
Static railroad cars and military equipment
... and more

About 5% of the listings are of what I call the "yellow pages" variety (stores, restaurants, and other stuff you can get off of any search engine). Most of them are things that you can't look up any other way, all of which are comparable to the virtuals I've seen and/or found.

IMHO, the major advantage of waymarks over virts/ALR-caches is that there are no logging requirements. You find them, you visit them. No need to send email to the virt owner. It totally eliminates the problem of armchair finds on virts as well as abandonment by cache owners.

I think if Groundspeak added a "Waymarks Found" line item to your geocaching.com profile page, a lot more people would start logging WM finds.

-eP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: