PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 266

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Show 266

Chat about the show here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait. Downloading now.

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject:

Oh it's here, still in bed so it's stitcher gor me

CoronaKid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:

Wow, looks like you have to be fast on the trigger to beat Pacholik for the FTP. Only one minute for FTP...lol.

Looking forward to listening to the show on the way home today (as usual). It makes the Monday drive home commute much more bearable.

Red Sky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:

What a fun show SSS! I might have to purchase that book if I donít win it for the good ideas I got from your interview.

I donít think bomb scares can be stopped at ANY location. Most urban caching is susceptible to misinterpretation by casual observers. Even if caches are placed with permission and whomever gave the permission is willing to confront the police during an active investigation, they might not be available or out sick. I think the police would have a legal obligation to check anything on public land even it if was placed with permission. But, it might not be as big a deal. And the woods can be investigated as you pointed out in a previous episode. Thatís one reason I like virtual caches when in an urban environment.

We did the behind the peddler seat, but I never felt very safe and I was the only one who could ride that bike. My kids loved it and I really liked hearing the Ooos and Aaws as we rode along. Iím sure all 3 will really enjoy it, well, except for the peddler. Shocked

nymphnsatyr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited about the geocaching book. Thank you for mentioning it!

radDad1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Great show as always. When Sean is 4 or 5, he can probably go on a trail-a- bike set up that you can hook to the seat post of a regular adult bike. I have done that with my two youngest kids when they were old enough to hold onto handle bars. Kids love it because they actually peddle and their pedaling actually helps out. And they can't put on brakes either! The trail a bike allows you to go much much farther then they can on their own bike with training wheels. We even used it to go caching with on the right kind of trail.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Red Sky wrote:
I donít think bomb scares can be stopped at ANY location. Most urban caching is susceptible to misinterpretation by casual observers. Even if caches are placed with permission and whomever gave the permission is willing to confront the police during an active investigation, they might not be available or out sick. I think the police would have a legal obligation to check anything on public land even it if was placed with permission. But, it might not be as big a deal. And the woods can be investigated as you pointed out in a previous episode. Thatís one reason I like virtual caches when in an urban environment.

I think no matter where someone sees suspicious people the police are going to be called and come. But gee whiz, how many people and pieces of equipment does it take to lift a lamp skirt? And I don't believe someone in a shopping center coming out and saying "I know what it is and I gave permission" is going to make much difference. Maybe I'm wrong. Would like to hear what a LEO has to say.

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Red Sky wrote:
What a fun show SSS! I might have to purchase that book if I donít win it for the good ideas I got from your interview.

I donít think bomb scares can be stopped at ANY location. Most urban caching is susceptible to misinterpretation by casual observers. Even if caches are placed with permission and whomever gave the permission is willing to confront the police during an active investigation, they might not be available or out sick. I think the police would have a legal obligation to check anything on public land even it if was placed with permission. But, it might not be as big a deal. And the woods can be investigated as you pointed out in a previous episode. Thatís one reason I like virtual caches when in an urban environment. Shocked

Did that Anaheim AAA cache early in the morning with no muggles about, something the guys in the blue sedan failed to take into account, causing the panic and waste of taxpayer money, not to mention the detrimental economic impact to the local businesses. Education about our sport is the key with law enforcement to prevent this, not banning LPCs, urban caches, or even remote caches. Posted in the Groundspeak thread about this incident, and a similar incident involving a rural cache (Caleb's Can) and how the same over reaction happened on a Sunday afternoon/eve, so it really doesn't matter whether the cache is placed in an urban area or not, and whether or not there are muggles around. Education is the key and with shows like the podcast, books about geocaching, and TV shows that sometimes get it right, the general public will become aware and hopefully try it, and be converted.

Not sure I agreed with the authors' characterization of some cachers being "NUTS" and wonder how that will help promote and sell their book to their target audience, geocachers. It's probably not a good idea to label as crazy, on a international podcast, those who you want to buy the book you are promoting. Keep in mind that there are many different levels of experience in the game and motivations to play it. Those are personal choices so best to respect them and not judge, assume, or jump to conclusions as to the state of mind of the players. Good to hear how it made a difference for one cacher and stopped him from ending his life.

Thanks for another entertaining show S&S. Razz

Captain Jack Aubrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Bomb Scare

Law enforcement agencies tend to call up special trained units any chance they get as a way of keeping the training fresh. I don't know how many times I have seen a huge ladder truck at a car accident because they need to practice driving it. There is also a political aspect involved. An elected sheriff wants to be seen and heard by the voters and can use this as a way of showing that he is protecting the public.

However, after having said that, parking lots are not public lands, and LPCs are usually placed without consent of the property owner. I think Groundspeak needs to reevaluate whether they allow this type of placement without proof from the property owner. The hiders are actually taking a risk as to liability for the costs of dealing with these bomb scares.

Another rant I would like to throw out there: I have noticed lately that there are now caches showing up on local church properties. Churches are not public lands! Just because the public is encouraged to participate in an activity on a property, whether that be a commercial venture or a worship service, it does not give cache hiders the right to place a cache there. If you are within a right of way for a public road, fine. But most of these caches are in a parking lot or another area of the property. Also, these caches are very boring.

Captain Jack Aubrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="Team GeoRangers"]
Red Sky wrote:
Not sure I agreed with the authors' characterization of some cachers being "NUTS" and wonder how that will help promote and sell their book to their target audience, geocachers.

I wouldn't get too upset over the nut label. He was talking specifically about 55ers who I'm sure would proudly accept the moniker.

Captain Jack Aubrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject:

I was quoting Team Georangers above and failed to delete their quote tag for Red Sky, so it looked like I was quoting Red Sky. Sorry.

Red Sky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

You're forgiven

Captain Jack Aubrey wrote:
I was quoting Team Georangers above and failed to delete their quote tag for Red Sky, so it looked like I was quoting Red Sky. Sorry.

Webfoot

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious. How did the authors decide who the "fifty top geocachers" were?

Webfoot

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I have another question about the show, but probably not this one. I seem to distinctly remember S&S talking about a challenge cache where you had to find so many caches that were at least 3 miles away from any other cache.

I can't find anything in the show notes recently that would lead me to this cache listing. Any help would be appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: