PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Geocaching.com increases Pocket Query limit to 1,000 caches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The Geocaching Hub
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Papa EGTH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Geocaching.com increases Pocket Query limit to 1,000 caches

As part of today's geocaching.com upgrade, Pocket Queries (PQs) now have a new maximum limit of 1,000 caches per PQ file. BUT there's a catch: if your pocket query has between 501 and 1,000 caches in it then you will have to retrieve the PQ file from the geocaching.com website - it will not be delivered by email (you'll only get a notification email telling you it's available for download). Pocket Queries with 500 or less caches will continue to be emailed like before. Existing queries will work as before the update because the maximum number of caches allowed was 500.

Many power users (like your's truely) that use the "Get data via email" option from GSAK (automated PQ retrieval from your email) will need to evaluate their data file retrieval methods if they want the larger PQs. I'm certainly hoping that GSAK will come up with an automated file retrieval system (either as a macro or part of a new version) that doesn't violate the Terms of Use (TOU) agreement. From what I've read in the Groundspeak forums, it appears as though the TOU will not be violated if an automated process is created although it all depends on how it's done.

Also part of this upgrade is that the "My Finds" query must now be downloaded from geocaching.com as well. All other restrictions still apply (counts as one of your daily PQ limit of 5 and can be run once every 7 days).

I waited for Pacholick's standard release notes post (I'm thinking he's proably out geocaching) but felt this warranted some special attention - at least for Premium Members...

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching.com increases Pocket Query limit to 1,000 cac

Papa EGTH wrote:
As part of today's geocaching.com upgrade, Pocket Queries (PQs) now have a new maximum limit of 1,000 caches per PQ file. BUT there's a catch: if your pocket query has between 501 and 1,000 caches in it then you will have to retrieve the PQ file from the geocaching.com website - it will not be delivered by email (you'll only get a notification email telling you it's available for download). Pocket Queries with 500 or less caches will continue to be emailed like before. Existing queries will work as before the update because the maximum number of caches allowed was 500.

Many power users (like your's truely) that use the "Get data via email" option from GSAK (automated PQ retrieval from your email) will need to evaluate their data file retrieval methods if they want the larger PQs. I'm certainly hoping that GSAK will come up with an automated file retrieval system (either as a macro or part of a new version) that doesn't violate the Terms of Use (TOU) agreement. From what I've read in the Groundspeak forums, it appears as though the TOU will not be violated if an automated process is created although it all depends on how it's done.

Also part of this upgrade is that the "My Finds" query must now be downloaded from geocaching.com as well. All other restrictions still apply (counts as one of your daily PQ limit of 5 and can be run once every 7 days).

I waited for Pacholick's standard release notes post (I'm thinking he's proably out geocaching) but felt this warranted some special attention - at least for Premium Members...

Thanks for passing along this tip which was mentioned in a recent show. It will save alot of time in the future. Also, it was a pleasure caching with you in Redding. Check out the photo uploaded tonight, showing both of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> The Geocaching Hub All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: