PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 267

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Show 267

The conversation continues here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Downloading now

Corey

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject:

It's finally in iTunes. Downloading.
edit: "35 minutes remaining". Yay Earthlink...

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Another new Icon!

Looking forward to another show and congratulations to all for the 10 year anniversary of geocaching! Enjoyed the Sacramento and Redding events, including meeting Jeremy!

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject:

Well we had a great attendance in N/Ireland far more than we ever expected, with a good few newbies showing up, so made for a change from the usual suspects

DudleyGrunt

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject:

There is already a Bring Virtual Geocaches Back group on Facebook.

I'll also share what I posted to that page earlier today. Virtual and Locationless caches are alive and well on both TerraCaching and Navicache.

Both sites still allow new Virtual caches to be published.

TerraCaching even has a separate cache type for, listing page, and point system for their Locationless caches, but they do show up in your basic Hidden / Found numbers.

Navicache will allow locationless type caches to be published as Virtuals.

Since I truly doubt that Groundspeak will bring back either, I recommend showing them that we do have options and taking advantage of the services of the other listing sites.

GC4C * MAGC * MGS * NoVAGO

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things.
- Blaise Pascal

Orange&Blue

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Olympus

Sonny - cool to see/hear the Olympus at work on this podcast! Those little foam windscreens really help a lot. I tend to use them most of the time. Bugs me that they don't really fit in the nice zippered case that comes with the unit, though. For the interviews, did you think about using the tripod mount versus holding it in your hand?

Webfoot

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Great show. I ended up at the event in Antelope Valley at the Devils Punchbowl. Found 8 caches on Saturday after a mile+ hike.

Got 5 different icons - 10 year event cache, Multi-cache, Mystery, Earchcache and Traditional. I also created a waymark there as well.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus

Orange&Blue wrote:
Sonny - cool to see/hear the Olympus at work on this podcast! Those little foam windscreens really help a lot.

I'm really liking the LS-10! The little foam windscreens couldn't keep out the thundering wind though. I had to turn on the electronic low cut filter and I'm not entirely happy with the audio.

I'm going to sew and make a furry windscreen (similar to this: http://is.gd/bT6G1) but mine will be in shocking red. Look for it in upcoming photos.

Here's an impressive video example of what it can do:

http://vimeo.com/4484993

wanzong

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Geocaching Sunday

Thanks for the great show! It was fun to hear about some of the other 10th anniversary events going on around the world!

We made a full day out of it on Sunday... went for a good hike at Lake Anderson County Park in Morgan Hill, CA in the morning with some geocaching buddies and the Geo Retrievers, then the GR's and I attended the Santa Cruz 10th anniversary event. That was fun, and we hooked up with some local cachers there, and did some caching along the way to the Monterey event (two FTF's as we went... woo hoo!).

At the Monterey event, the GR's had to stay outside, but they got lots of attention anyway! Got to grab a WhereIGo cache (although, we pretty much just followed along with the other 20 people going for it!) and had a great time catching up with folks and meeting people I only recognized by their logs!

A long day, but a blast! And somewhere along the way I hit 700 caches!!

I don't think I would have gotten too excited about the 10th anniversary events if it wasn't for your show, so Thank You!!!

Mike and the Geo Retrievers

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Feedback on Geocaches Mistaken for Bombs

Heard a caller on the show state that it would be easy for police to have access to the geocaching database and can quickly dismiss the incident. Not so fast - unless you give them admin rights so they can see all the finals. That would also allow others not associated with the game to compromise Groundspeak's database, knowing the finals for multi's and puzzles.

The other scenario Sonny mentions is if it is a new hide and does not show up yet in the database.

I don't know how much this would cost, but maybe GroundSpeak or local Caching Groups can put together a 20 minute DVD that explains the game and distribute it to Police, Fire and other associated responders, to help avoid incidents, like what happened in Anaheim recently.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject:

Still not so fast. Who says something can't be placed where a cache is already hiding, or make it look like cache, or... I don't know that the the police or whoever is going to take any chances - or at least in their mind. What if the "cache" they blow up is fully of deadly toxins. Won't blowing the cache spread the stuff?

As paranoid as all that seems I choose not to be that way and just keep on caching.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Other site listings

Another thing to consider, that I thought of after recording the show: Other cache site or letterbox listings.

If the Law Enforcement Agencies check one site to see if it's "legit" and don't find it, could it still be an object place there but listed on one of many other various listing sites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: