PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 285

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Show 285

The conversation continues here...

chihuahuak94me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

You mean I am the first to download this show? How did that happen?

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Damitt!!!!!!!! ..........Time Zones. Oh well back to bed, will download for my Drive to Dublin

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject:

Got it early yesterday and listened to it on the way to a nice power run and a few other caches. Nice drive through the Texas Hill Country. Lots of bikers out early (both pedaling and motorized). Bet they were all gone by the time the showers started blowing through.

As usual, another great show!

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject:

Even though it was a 3 day holiday weekend here in the US, it was too busy for us to go caching. Sad Also starting to run into the "Sean is becoming a picky eater"' challenge as well. Grrr.

ChildOfAtom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Macgyver

Okay Sonny, with your love of Macgyvering... I have two things for you:

1) The Ready Made magazine Macgyver Challenge. ReadyMade is a sort of more youthful version of Better Homes and Gardens geared towards 20 and 30something urban crafter/maker/builder market. Every month they run what they call the Macgyver Challenge. They present an item that people commonly have around (old VCR tapes, Scrabble tiles, a slide carousel) and you have a few months to come up with your best solution on a way to reuse and recycle the object. They don't keep a deep archive unfortunately, but the most recent 6 or so are at the link above. They've done some cool ones in the past a clock made from a VCR tape, a magazine rack from a broken umbrella, an awesome table from wooden clothes hangers (I'll have to see if I can wrangle that one up somewhere...) But you should definitely check it out.

and 2) a cache that is a Macgyver Challenge itself! GC1915Z Happy Hiker #1: The Ten Essentials. The basic concept here is to take the 10 "essentials" that you are supposed to take with you on every hike (water, first aid, a topo map of the area, extra clothes, etc.) and figure out how to use one of them at each stage of this 10 stage puzzle multi. For instance, when confronted with a large U shaped pipe... do you use your water to float out the cache at the bottom? Or do you use a stick and some medical tape from your first aid kit retrieve it? Or can you pull your piece of extra clothing through the pipe on a rope and use that to pull the cache upward? It's a great cache, and I had a lot of fun when I did it.

"Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter culture?"

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Macgyver

ChildOfAtom wrote:
Okay Sonny, with your love of Macgyvering... I have two things for you:

and 2) a cache that is a Macgyver Challenge itself! GC1915Z Happy Hiker #1: The Ten Essentials. The basic concept here is to take the 10 "essentials" that you are supposed to take with you on every hike (water, first aid, a topo map of the area, extra clothes, etc.) and figure out how to use one of them at each stage of this 10 stage puzzle multi. For instance, when confronted with a large U shaped pipe... do you use your water to float out the cache at the bottom? Or do you use a stick and some medical tape from your first aid kit retrieve it? Or can you pull your piece of extra clothing through the pipe on a rope and use that to pull the cache upward? It's a great cache, and I had a lot of fun when I did it.

Sounds like a great cache to experiment and pathfind new TOTT! It is amazing how many different ways there are to retrieve a container! Here's a few that have worked well in the field: Telescoping Orange Picker, suspended nut, water, magnet, velcro, duct tape, and two long fiberglass "chop sticks" ... to name a few. If you can't sign it, then you can't log it online ...

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Baby S

Not that I believe that the Terrible Two's would ever happen this badly to S&S, but ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vu0WqGYw7M

[/url]

Dorsetgal & GeoDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who feels just an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bit envious of the Garmin / Merrell / GC competition in the UK should just cast their mind back to all those fabulous Jeep contests that we weren't allowed to enter Laughing

Enjoyed the show and as always really appreciated, thank you.

Going to d/l the next in the morning and save it for a long plane ride ... Arrow

Chief_Osceola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: GC2BVZQ

Thank you for including my cache in your podcast! If anybody outside Central Ohio wants to try to do a cache like this in your area, I'd be more than happy to help - what I specifically asked from each participant, what went wrong, what could be better, etc.

Keep on Cachin'!

Chief_Osceola

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: