PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 293
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Show 293

The conversation continues here...

Happy Halloween!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Big Doggie and Lil Pup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Yay! A new show

My weekly dose of Podcacher!

Look forward to hearing the new show!

Last edited by Big Doggie and Lil Pup on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheManInStripes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: FTP!!!

ORIGINAL POST:

First to post!!! Happy Halloween!!!

REVISED TO ADD:

OK, looks like I was beaten. We both show the same time stamp, but after a friendly exchange, Big Dog's post appears first on both of our computers, so he must have posted before me. Good job.

I am a MARATHONER!! June 19, 2010

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Have too wake up earlier. Oh well off to go hide a few caches
Stitcheeeeeeer

emilierene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject:

I have been "Huckle-Buckle" geocaching for about three years now. I love it for the same reason that everyone gets to make the find. I've cached with people who still need to refine their "Huckle-Buckle" skills by not looking at, holding, or sitting on the cache when they say it, but it's still fun when caching with a group of friends.

ipodguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:

Re: "Huckle Buckle"

In South Jersey we do something similar, except instead of saying "Huckle Buckle" we say "I've got coffee".

Basically, when the cache is found the cacher quietly walks away and happily proclaims that they've "got coffee". That means that they've located the cache and now have time to go grab a cup of coffee while the other cachers continue to search.

A little more "history" of the phrase comes from cacher Bayberry:

The start of "I've got coffee"

Many years ago some South Jersey cachers hosted a picnic & campout. In those olden days, the majority of cachers were guys. Most women who cached were known as either "Wife" or "Girlfriend".

During this event, the guys decided to go caching. They kinda sorta forgot to ask the women if we wanted to go along. SO we went out by ourselves.

Most of the caches in this forest (Lebanon/Byrne) were still new, so most of these cachers hadn't logged them yet. The girls (in one car) frequently ran into the guys (in a caravan), and the guys kept claiming to have "already logged this one", turning it into a gender contest.

At one particularly difficult cache, the GPS signals pointed toward a swamp. Some of the guys braved it. Other cachers decided that the coords just might be off, and began hunting near the single structure (a stream-gaging station).

"Girlfriend" found the cache, and told her friends. Then she went to stand near her boyfriend. After watching the guys hunt (and cuss) for a while, she whispered to boyfriend that she'd found the cache. Annoyed, he chided her, and said she should have told everyone that she found it. So she shouted, "I found the cache!" "Boyfriend" then snipped, "You're supposed to say it in a normal tone of voice, as if you were saying that you're having coffee!"

The guys grumbled, and gathered around to sign the log after having to actually ask a mere female to locate it for them. The girls left them there & went off to find more caches. At every cache, whichever girl found the cache first would say primly, "I'm having coffee!" And then they'd laugh.

And thus, a phrase was born.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:

When searching for a cache with one of my friends, if I found it I'd sign us in while she kept looking. I stand behind her for a while, and then I'd ask if she'd mind putting the cache back. She'd fuss at me a bit. I'd tell her I just wanted her to feel like she was contributing. Thank goodness she's a good friend still!

Big Doggie and Lil Pup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FTP!!!

TheManInStripes wrote:

REVISED TO ADD:
OK, looks like I was beaten. We both show the same time stamp, .

I look at it more like a photo finish. My car was closer to the camera taking the photo, but The Man In Stripes was on the other side of my car We both crossed the line at the same time. Well done! Great minds think alike. I'll buy the first round!

Big Doggie and Lil Pup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I really like the new guitar music you have, fun to do air-guitar to!

I am interested in seeing what the county deparment of tourism could do here geocaching. I didn't think about developing a caching trail. I had only thought about them promoting it in our county that has good open space, some of it with ocean and San Francisco Bay views. Now I am going to look online to see what type of things are being done. It would be great to get some tourists that are visiting to try geocaching for the first time and for seasoned geocachers to try out our scenic areas.

EdIt - Monday night -
...and the San Francisco Giants WIN the WORLD SERIES!!!

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject:

On a recent show I mentioned that we were looking to work with a local organization to set up a cache that would draw people to their site. I was very disappointed to have my idea shut down pretty quickly. Very disappointing. I'm not sure where the resistance comes from. My guess would be a fear of the unknown. Won't stop me from trying though. Just need to find other alternatives with other places.

On another note, we did get Sean to sing the ABC song, but it was after I edited and published the show. Maybe for a future show. Not sure if you heard, but we did include some dinosaur names at the end of this show.

Big Doggie and Lil Pup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

Sonny wrote:
On a recent show I mentioned that we were looking to work with a local organization to set up a cache that would draw people to their site. I was very disappointed to have my idea shut down pretty quickly. Very disappointing. I'm not sure where the resistance comes from. My guess would be a fear of the unknown. Won't stop me from trying though. Just need to find other alternatives with other places.

On another note, we did get Sean to sing the ABC song, but it was after I edited and published the show. Maybe for a future show. Not sure if you heard, but we did include some dinosaur names at the end of this show.

YES! I got a kick out of Sean talking at the end. I heard him saying the names.

As far as the group shutting you down, I think they had some of those - "I don't want none of those geo-tags, get them away from me" people in their group. Better luck with another group who will not only be open to your message but enthusiastic with developing it.

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Commute

Looking forward to listening to the show on my 2:30 train trip tomorrow - especially to Sean Very Happy

Big Doggie and Lil Pup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I read that in the US the game also had the name "Hot Buttered Beans"

Last edited by Big Doggie and Lil Pup on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

BakerGeckos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Instead of "Huckle Buckle" we usually do something simular we back off but when one would look at us we would do "The Bunny Dance" / Stance Usuallay just hold a finger on either side of the head (Sometimes bounce like a bunny) thus the term....

Mike

daisybones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: cha-ching and historical caching revisited

when i went group caching in austin the people i went with say "cha-ching!" now i say it for all kinds of things like 'hey- i got chris to change maria's poop diaper- cha-ching!'

i just did a super duper major catch up on podcacher- i listened to about 8 episodes this week when i drove to my parents house in houston (from austin). i am majorly motivated to go caching now. i've been a loooooooonnnnngggggg hiatus from caching. my birthday is this thursday- maybe i can convince my non-caching husband that going caching would be the perfect gift!

i also want to ask a question/ throw out an idea regarding historical caching. texas has about a gazillion historical markers- does anyone know if there is caching relating to those markers? if there isn't, could the marker itself serve as the cache? could there be a new type of cache to account for it just being a sign?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: