PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 360
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Show 360

The conversation continues here...

Traa dy Liooar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject:

First to post waiting for the show Shocked

Traa dy Liooar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:

FTP since the show was posted!?

gundark2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Oh well, STP! downloading now. Hmmm...... decisions, decisions......Podcacher or the Oscars, Podcacher or the Oscars..... HELP!! Laughing

gundark2000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject:

AND THE WINNER IS.........PODCACHER!! ( Billy Crystal's got nothin' on Sonny!!)

Dorsetgal & GeoDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject:

First European!

Where are you Bats? Sleeping again? Laughing

bumanfam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject:

MOGA! MOGA! MOGA!

Repmul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Hope to see you there!

MOGA! MOGA! MOGA!

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject:

Hey I'm here, barely

DudleyGrunt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject:

FTCOTE (First to Comment on the Episode) - Laughing

I'd like to offer some thoughts on logging virtual (or other non-physical) caches based on visits prior to publication. My short answer would be to ask the owner.

This came up on a recently published OpenCaching.us virtual, with another cache owner who had cache not far from it. He brought it up on our forums and the consensus was to check with the owner.

Personally, I'd prefer for people to visit after publication for my own caches, but I might work with folks who actually asked before logging.

I didn't used to think it would be necessary, but I include, "Visit the site, in person," as one of the Logging Requirements for my virtuals. Maybe I should consider adding, "...after the publication date."

GC4C * MAGC * MGS * NoVAGO

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things.
- Blaise Pascal

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:

Two of the show's topics made me think of ethics, and I'll bring up a 3rd example. Maybe a future show should revolve around geocaching ethics.

Google Maps and a workaround - It seems the majority of people wish we were still using Google Maps. At an estimated $8,000 per day cost to Groundspeak, that isn't going to happen. So someone comes up with a workaround that allows us to see our caches on Google Maps. Great! Or is it? If we do that aren't we cheating Google out their money? They're a big company, they can afford it. Can they? Even if they could, is it the right thing to do? I don't know that doing this is any different than downloading copyrighted music off a website, or burning a copy of a bootleg DVD.

Logging Virtuals and Earthcaches before they are published - I'll file this under "Yes you can, but should you." Yep, you were at ground zero 3 years before the cache was published and you can answer all the questions. To me this would be almost the same as logging a find on a traditional because you were at that ground zero years before the cache was hidden. To cut to the chase, the only person who truly gets cheated is the person doing the logging.

And a 3rd ethical question - This weekend CADrake and I were working at the annual Basura Bash which is a city wide clean up of the San Antonio River and its contributing tributaries. We were emptying a city truck full of trash when we saw what would make a neat container. As we pulled the thing out of the truck we saw that someone else had thought the same thing because there were official geocache stickers.

We asked the park people where they had found the thing. They had picked it up at a park 11 miles away earlier in the week and were going to turn it in (which goes to show how much Official Geocache and Do Not Remove stickers mean). We opened it up to find a blank log! Woo hoo, FTF!!! And then I was thinking even better, FTF before it was even published!! After thinking it thought, I would have signed the log, but I would have also returned the container to the rightful owner so I could truly go find it again. Notice I said would have.

I contacted the state reviewer and found out this cache was part of a series that was not published because of some problems (Don't know what they are). The CO abandoned the caches in place. I asked if I could get the coordinates for the abandoned caches so we wouldn't be leaving containers out there that at this point were junk. The answer, as I somewhat anticipated, was no. Technically the containers, though abandoned, still belong to the CO. Since I wasn't given the CO's name I can only assume either the person no longer caches, or it's a privacy issue. So what's the right thing to do in this case? I can see both sides (and maybe there are more sides than I am thinking).

Thanks for another great show.
EWB

DudleyGrunt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I would have no issue with the Google GreaseMonkey script and don't think it is akin to piracy, but if someone has a solid arguement, I'd listen. Groundspeak is not trying to get around the fees and the maps are free for individuals to use. My 2 cents.

Really, folks who create virtuals, Earthcaches, etc, should design them so you can't log them without being there. I generally, ask for a photo (non-Groundspeak caches) and for more obscure info. For example, on my To Lift a Nation virtual, the logging requirements are...

Quote:

1. Please post a photo of the memorial or some aspect of it with your log.

2. Log Password [entered online with the log] - When facing the memorial (from the front), look to your right. You will see a yellow pipe with an orange cap. The password is the 8 letter vertical word on the front, followed by the 3 character ID number on the left side (letter-number-number). Enter the password in ALL CAPS with no dashes or spaces.

3. In order to log a find, you need to have visited the spot indicated.

Anyone who previously visited the memorial and somehow actually has the information form the pipe, would be a very curious individual. If you design your cache well, you can avoid people logging from home or from past visits. And EarthCaches, now have more stringent requirements for confirming the "find", so if they're done properly, it would probably rarely be an issue.

As to the 3rd item, I don't think you have any way to return the container to the original owner. I'd use it to place a new cache. The CO should have properly labeled the cache / logbook with cache name, waypoint, and is cache name. It's possible that he may have listed it on an alternative listing service, but without any identifying information, you really have not options. I suppose the one exception would be if the reviewer was willing to put the CO in touch with you or return the container to him/her for you.

GC4C * MAGC * MGS * NoVAGO

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things.
- Blaise Pascal

TAZ427

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Logging Caches Pre-posting of the cache

I feel fairly strongly against logging caches pre-posting of the cache. There are several virtuals that I've been to the location, I've taken pictures, I know the answers to but I will not log those as caches until or unless I go back to the location. In some cases I've been to the location after the virtuals were created, but I wasn't geocaching at the time. The only use of doing so would be to pad my smilies. I want all my smilies to be honestly earned.

step2626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:

If it's okay to log Earthcaches that were visited years before the cache was published, then I'm definitely going to start taking pictures of everything whenever I get to a location that anyone might someday turn into an Earthcache. That way I spend my winter months combing through the lists of Earthcaches to see if I have all the info I need to log the cache. Come to think of it, I should go through all of my old vacation photos to see if I can get my numbers run up.

PS. Everyone should make sure that they visit more than one cache that day (Feb 29th) since surely people will be creating challenge caches that require at least two caches to be found on every day of the year. It'll probably be good to get several caches that day just to be sure--probably one of every type.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:

step2626 wrote:
PS. Everyone should make sure that they visit more than one cache that day (Feb 29th) since surely people will be creating challenge caches that require at least two caches to be found on every day of the year. It'll probably be good to get several caches that day just to be sure--probably one of every type.

Great suggestion. I know that we will be finding quite a few that day "just to be sure"!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: