PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 382

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Show 382

The conversation continues here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Downloading now. Cache on

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Another weeks geocaching goodness Very Happy

Thankyou for all the suggestions to my question on Ask Dr Podcacher
- just spent a happy half hour editing 10 cache descriptions to give credit to the best logger per year on each of the caches in my series - The Wombles of Wimbleball

TFTPodcast Wink

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject:

Well, let's see now, where's that download button, oh hang on I don't have to do that anymore, I have the podcaster app from iTunes it now downloads it direct and automatically. Smile. Only problem I'm not sure at what stage/ time does it do that. Have a good Monday folks

DudleyGrunt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject:

In reference to Alex's archived cache at Geolympics Mega, I'd leave the logs, since the people who found the replacement container, seemingly logged it in good faith.

I'd now go out and remove the replacement (if that hasn't been done, yet) and update the cache page to state that since it has been archived and removed, no further logs can be accepted.

Of course, you might still get some late logs from the mega. I guess I would let them stand if they seem to be from the event, just as I would if I'd actually archived the cache following the event.

GC4C * MAGC * MGS * NoVAGO

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things.
- Blaise Pascal

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject:

You can assume if you put a FTF prize in a cache that you will get a log more than just TFTC. What makes a good FTF prize? Just about anything. Like any gift, it's the thought that counts.

What's the best FTF prize I've ever given? For my cache Joyride, GC2E70G, I gave a helicopter ride. I had an event for it, EWB & CADrake are going on a joyride!, GC2EZEA. Unless I win the lottery I doubt I will top that FTF prize.

missourimule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:

I log on my iPhone, but that's no excuse for a crappy log. I often write a short log when in the field, then I go back when I'm home and on the laptop and edit the log and write a longer one. In addition, if you're using a phone, then there's no excuse for not adding a fun photo - it's so simple!

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject:

missourimule wrote:
I log on my iPhone, but that's no excuse for a crappy log. I often write a short log when in the field, then I go back when I'm home and on the laptop and edit the log and write a longer one. In addition, if you're using a phone, then there's no excuse for not adding a fun photo - it's so simple!

... what she said !

TAZ427

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject:

missourimule wrote:

I log on a droid phone the vast majority of time (probably > 95%) and average 49 words / log. I tend to do it while walking to the next cache or back to my truck. Which BTW can be as dangerous as staring at your GPSr instead of where you're walking. So one/two word logs have no excuse even if it is an LPC Rolling Eyes

Griff Grof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the show Very Happy I enjoyed listening to it, with a lot of good topics and questions this time.

I have never, ever logged a cache with anything shorter than "Easy find, TFTC" and that was only because it was a fun additional logging requirement to go with the theme of the cache. Other than that exception, my average log length is something like 70 words - I just enjoy sitting down, logging, and re-living my Geocaching adventures, which I can look back on a few years later and remember what happened - I still do that now Cool

As a cache owner, who spends time preparing and placing their caches in interesting locations, I take TFTC as rude - how come other people, thankfully most people, can write sentences, if not paragraphs, while others can only write TFTC on the same cache Rolling Eyes Question Yes, I know you can log from your phone, but some people go back and edit their log when they have more time later; even if it's just a sentence. But others don't, so as a cache owner (and I'm not the only one who also thinks this) I find TFTC rude.

Knowing how it feels to get short logs as an owner, is what encourages me to write longer logs, each one unique - I am proud that I have never, ever used the evil copy and paste - every single log of mine, on all 1,252 caches I've found is unique Smile Yes, if doing a long trail I might copy and paste the first sentence, but the rest is unique.

I now say: "If you can't be bothered to [go back and] log them properly, then don't log them at all" - why should you? By writing TFTC you are keeping what happened, and your adventures to yourself - the point of logging online is to share them - so don't bother and keep a spreadsheet of the ones you've found instead!

GeoKs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the show yet, but felt compelled to chime in.

IMO, even worse than TFTC is the most recent trend here in Calgary. We've been getting lots of found it logs where the cacher types "Found it!" as their log entry.

Maybe its n00bs who don't realize the notification email already says Cacher found Your Cache. Whatever the reason, I hope this is a short-lived trend.

Team 57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject:

saltercreaserangers wrote:
Thankyou for all the suggestions to my question on Ask Dr Podcacher
- just spent a happy half hour editing 10 cache descriptions to give credit to the best logger per year on each of the caches in my series - The Wombles of Wimbleball

I think it would be good if you also went back and e-mailed those who you deemed the best and let them know that they are on your page of fame... They may tell others (like at events) and that could get other owners doing it too... If that happens, maybe more cachers will start putting more effort into their logs... Just a thought.

firennice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:

Two notes here... as a reviewer (BlueRajah)

You mentioned a challenge requiring a specific log length. As reviewers it was discussed a few months ago that a challenge like this, or like having posted a certain number of photos on the website, were not geocaching related, and thus do not qualify as a challenge. So they are no longer being listed.

http://support.groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

Quote:
Challenge cache requires that geocachers meet a geocaching-related qualification or series of tasks before the challenge cache can be logged.

A note also, with the tone of the discussion. We all like long logs on our caches. But you cannot require it. If someone wants to copy and past TFTC. They are allowed. If they signed the log, they can log the cache.

I dislike, especially my earthcaches that I spent weeks getting ready and listing, when someone does that. However can do it. (It is like a question on ethics, "can I -vs- should I"

Requiring long logs or short logs is an ALR

Firennice/BlueRajah/Geoawareusa2
http://firennice.squarespace.com/

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:

firennice wrote:
Two notes here... as a reviewer (BlueRajah)

Thanks for the info and keeping us up-to-date with the guidelines!

missourimule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject:

Team 57 wrote:

I think it would be good if you also went back and e-mailed those who you deemed the best and let them know that they are on your page of fame... They may tell others (like at events) and that could get other owners doing it too... If that happens, maybe more cachers will start putting more effort into their logs... Just a thought.

This is a great idea! I found an awesome cache not too long ago and really gushed about it in my log because it was so fun and unusual, despite being easy. The cache owner wrote me, thanking me for the log. That positive reinforcement, in turn, inspired me to write more interesting logs in general.

If you're ever near St. Louis, check out "Pullet Surprise":

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3JQPK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: