PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 406

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Show 406

Chat about the show here...

goblincamper2004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject:

FTP

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject:

2TP - delayed by power cut Very Happy

gundark2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject:

3TP Very Happy
Downloading now!!

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject:

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in show builder, but...

In the future, whenever you come across a cacher's name that you're having trouble pronouncing, get CKPetrus to do it. He doesn't seem to have any trouble rattling off those names. I think it would be fun and funny!

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject:

Electric Water Boy wrote:
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in show builder, but...

In the future, whenever you come across a cacher's name that you're having trouble pronouncing, get CKPetrus to do it. He doesn't seem to have any trouble rattling off those names. I think it would be fun and funny!

How very true. I think he did a great job!

TheDuke12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I live up in RI and a good distance inland from the ocean. The RI coast didn't do as well and I know of one cache that was lost to the sea. I remember seeing the area where the cache was on tv footage and it was several feet under sea water. It had no chance.

As soon as the area was ok'd for civilians to come back in and the CO was able to get down there it was replaced. I am sure areas of NJ,NY are not as lucky as there was so much destruction and damage. Areas are just not the same as they were before.

TheDuke12

ChildOfAtom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject:

So my question about the multi/not multi that you talked about on the show... why not just skip the first waypoint and list the second one as the final? What purpose is the first one serving if the "final" is just 100' away?

"Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter culture?"

ChildOfAtom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double post but wanted to comment about the Geocaching Disaster protocols too..

As you know I live in New York City, not the part that was damaged by Sandy thankfully, but I was certainly aware of what was going on. The geocaching community was very supportive of one another and I saw lots of posts in our local groups' facebook pages offering gas, places to sleep and other forms of assistance, which was very heartening. Of course, the person who asked was more curious about how the caches were handled...

As the storm progressed the cachers in the area handled things in various ways. Most cachers simply ignored the caches and concentrated on their families, but others were more active. For instance, when the city closed the parks, several COs temporarily disabled their caches, so as to discourage people from being tempted to go into the closed areas. Some COs who had caches in the flood zones also disabled.

In the days that followed many cachers made maintenance checks for each other. One cacher I know, who lives near Central Park, checked and logged notes for every cache in the park, checking them while she walked her dog. If she encountered any problems she notified the CO, otherwise she just posted an all clear to the cache page. Similar events happened in Queens, and Brooklyn with one very prolific hider there checking not only his own hides, but those of others in between his own.

This action also spilled over to the non-caching community. Several cachers, in the process of checking their caches, also made reports to 311 (the city information line) regarding downed lamp posts, trees and power-lines.

Besides helping each other out locally there were other cachers who also helped. I know that one caching group in Mississippi collected cache containers, swag and other items at an event down there and sent it up to one of the groups here.

Over all, both in terms of the caching, and in terms of the personal the local cachers really came through the disaster!

By the way, Sandy is still making a lot of the local caching challenging. Down trees, torn up paths, and altered landscapes in remote areas like large parks won't get repaired any time soon, so we are all finding ourselves bushwhacking a little more, and climbing over some new obstacles. Check out my photos on this log to see some examples:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c659c6a5-9b1c-4d52-bcf8-6768261f7d6d

"Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter culture?"

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject:

ChildOfAtom wrote:
So my question about the multi/not multi that you talked about on the show... why not just skip the first waypoint and list the second one as the final? What purpose is the first one serving if the "final" is just 100' away?

The CO stated that the cache hide (1st waypoint) was in a pine tree and "was unique and provided a fun moment for finders" - so I think that was the reason.

captaincooder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Traditional vs. Multi debate

Regarding H2OZ's "multi" cache, first of all, he describes it as a "regular," but I think he means a traditional, as regular describes size, not type. If the cache were a regular, there wouldn't be an issue. Secondly, at least according my my reviewer, this cache is neither a traditional nor an offset/multi. It is simply not permitted to exist at all under the guidelines. The reason is that all physical containers of a multi-cache must be separated by a distance of 0.1 miles. If I understand correctly, stage one (the clever cache) is a container, capable of being opened, containing a message that directs the cacher to stage two. If this is the case, then stage two must be at least 528 feet away. I have managed to get around this rule (which seems absurd to me) by using non-containers as stages, like stamped dog tags, stickers, etc. All in all, H20Z is fortunate that his cache wasn't outright disallowed by his reviewer.

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject:

"The reason is that all physical containers of a multi-cache must be separated by a distance of 0.1 miles."

I have placed a couple of multi's that didn't follow this, so I had to go check the guidelines. Found in a few clicks that the above statement is not correct, and GroundSpeak even has a diagram illustrating this.

Link to GroundSpeak Guidelines

If there were another physical cache that was part of another multi or if there were another cache within 0.1, then it would not be allowed.

captaincooder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Stages of a multi

Thanks, EWB! I had not realized Groundspeak had updated the guidelines recently. Clearly, for them to explain it so well shows that it had been an important issue. I like that they allowed the decreased distance between containers within a multi, but not that they outlawed the decreased distance between non-container, physical elements between multis, but I see their rationale, which is reasonable, consistent with past saturation rulings, and acceptable.

I also find it amusing that they created a special rule for the absurd I.S.S. cache. I guess they think that one will become an icon in the future. I can see my milestone post now: "Stardate 2061.02.03: Woo hoo! 100,000! Booked my Virgin Galactic space cruise and our first stop after leaving orbit was the historic International Space Station. Next stop, Sea of Tranquility Mooncache, the Mars Mega-event, the Asteroid belt multi and the Rings of Saturn Virtual."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: