PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 413

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Show 413

Chat about the show here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Downloading now. Cache on

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject:

pacholik wrote:
Downloading now. Cache on

@Pacholik never sleeps Surprised Very Happy

downloading much faster this morning with the updated Podcasts iphone app

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject:

And here we go

batsgonemad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject:

Right folks I'm going to envoke an unsolicited plea here on the forum. I need the help of this fine community and all your friends. I have this picture on Instagram that I need votes for. You can now have your Instagram pictures put on rings and pendants and one of my pictures is one of the 3 finalists, so I'm asking you all to please go to @jewelgram on Instagram and like the Union Jack ring, it's really unique as its my fingerprint on there( I used to be a forensic investigator for the police so I'm into all that ) I have to get ahead of the other fav I'm about 25 likes behind.
Cheers all and hoping the community rally's together
Have a super week

Spindoc Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Nuvi and GPX - not so straight forward

Your tip from Pastor G regarding uploading GPX files into a Garmin Nuvi isn't as straight forward as it sounds.

The technique that Pastor G describes, places the geocaches in the Favourites folder. The number of favourites that a Nuvi holds depends on the the unit. My 1350 only holds 500, which is considered by many to be low.

Another quirk is each time you copy a gpx file to the GPX folder (doesn't matter whether it's one geocache or 100), it 'adds' these geocaches to a hidden file, which the unit uses to read its favourites. If the favourite file already has the maximum number of favourites it will not add any more. It does not write over. The only way to empty this file is to delete the favourites from the unit (via the unit's menu not by deleting the gpx files from the unit as a mounted drive). I hope you're still with me.

I have recently found a way of loading geocaches into my Nuvi, using GSAK and a macro called nuvifavoriteexportgxp.gsk. I've included instructions on how to use it, including the how to delete your previous set of favourites, on my blog at http://www.darrenosborne.com/2013/01/uploading-geocaches-into-nuvi-1350/

If you're a Garmin Nuvi user, another blog worth checking out is http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/. It has a huge amount of information about Nuvi - what they can and can't do.

Thanks for the podcast.

Team D-B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: More on the newsletter/event rant

I totally follow the Austrian geocachers rant, but in Denmark and other costal areas the problem is not just the distance, that's the problem with the huge radius:

One thing is distance as in mi or km. Another thing is how long time it will take you to get to the event. And I'm not talking about people who insist on walking or riding the bike to an event.

I live in Sillkeborg, Denmark and since the entire country is a peninsula and a bit more than 400 islands we're pretty used to ferries and bridges. That makes travelling in the area where the newsletter suggest events quite expensive and time consuming.

For example the last newsletter suggested that I participated in an event in Lillesand, Norway. As the crows fly it's 241 km (150mi). However, if you're not equipped with a helicopter and need to take the car and a ferry, it's a 361 km (224 mi)/6h30m drive. Plus a one way ticket for the ferry will cost you $85.

I'm sorry, but I wont join the happy geocachers of Lillesand for that event.

Imagine if you instead of a max. distance could set a max. lenght of drive to events...

God påske/Happy Easter to everyone.

pacholik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject:

On show 405 a cacher wanted to load their Nuvi and could not find the macro. This is what I had posted. http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6918&st=0&#entry173526 and http://jshults.wordpress.com/garmin-nuvi-file-management-tutorial/

Spindoc Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Finished listening to this episode and thought I'd respond to the Challenge Geocache question also.

The guidelines to Challenge Geocaches were updated in March last year, and there are two new GUIDELINES (remember they aren't RULES), which make it difficult or impossible to replicate some of the 'grandfathered' Challenge Geocaches.

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

First one:
Quote:
Challenge caches based on a specific list of caches, such as caches placed by a specific person or group, will generally not be published.

Second:
Quote:
A challenge cache must be attainable without the need to email the owner. The cache page must include the true coordinates or the means to calculate them, if a puzzle.

The first new guideline makes it impossible to replicate the NZ Old School Challenge geocaches. In New South Wales we reached a compromise with our reviewers for our old school challenge (http://coord.info/GC406HT) by making the requirement:

Quote:
To claim this geocache you will need to have completed the challenge of finding and logging 10 of the oldest active geocaches in New South Wales before signing the logbook and logging it online. The 10 must have been hidden in the year 2000 or 2001. As of 13 December 2012 there are 44 eligible geocaches.

The second new guideline means you have to list the final coordinates of the Challenge Geocache (or someway of solving it). This means the CO or person/group that monitors it has to check that the finder has completed the requirements AFTER they have logged there find. This is the case for our New South Wales state challenge - http://coord.info/GC3CA9M. And yes, we have had to delete a few 'armchair' finders on this one.

Spindoc Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject:

pacholik wrote:
On show 405 a cacher wanted to load their Nuvi and could not find the macro. This is what I had posted. http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6918&st=0&#entry173526 and http://jshults.wordpress.com/garmin-nuvi-file-management-tutorial/

This is another method of loading geocaches into the Nuvi, but it uses the POI folder which can store lots more than the Favorites folder. The downside is that the size of the icons is tiny (16x16) and don't show up unless zoomed right in.

Using Favorites gives you less geocaches, but uses the 32x32 icon size and stay visible up to 8km zoom (?).

pacholik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Good to know Spindoc Bob. Yes larger icons are better with these old eyes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: