PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 428

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Show 428

The conversation continues here...

goblincamper2004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject:

FTP

goblincamper2004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject:

will listen to it and post again later

bearhugger1972

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject:

STP! Just finished listening to another great show. I'd like to put my opinion to one of the questions raised about claiming favorite points back from archived caches. I have recently taken back two favorite points back from a couple of archived caches so i have them available for active caches. I know people search for caches with favorite points and i think it's pointless looking for archived caches.
Also, on a separate issue, does Sonny like 'NPC's (North Pole Caches)?

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject:

So much goodness I may not remember to comment on everything I want to in one post (or listening). So, in no particular order.

Favorite Points - Nope, I don't reclaim them. Cache was a favorite when I gave it, nothing has changed other than it was archived. Beisdes, I have over 7,100 logged finds, award favorite points, and still have 324 left. You get a favorite point to award for every 10 caches you find. Are 10% of the caches in your area worth a favorite point?

31 Days of caching and other streaks - I'm one of those that will likely never get the 100 day streak, and the 31 is going to be tough as well. I've cleared out my area, plus I have other obligations. I'm not going to hide my own caches to get souveniers, though I might host an event or 2 (or 3, or 4...). We'll see how it goes.

Labeling caches - First let me state that I have no ties at all with law enforcement or those in the military that are in bomb squads. I also have no known ties with those that make bombs. I have popped a few firecrackers. Labelling an ammo can as a geocache doesn't really do much for anyone other than the cacher looking for it. If I were on a bomb squad and I got called out, am I going to say "Oh, this is okay even though I can't see into it because it is labeled Geocache." Other than the Acme Bomb Company, does anyone label a bomb as a bomb? Do druggies label their stash as "Evil Weed" or "Coke - not of the drinking kind" - I think not. It was stated on a previous episode that some bomb makers practice in the woods before putting their real bomb out. I don't they would go to the effort to make a geocache bomb and get it published, but stupid things do happen. So my moral of the story here is that labelling a cache as a cache, especially an ammo can, only does the cacher any good. And only a something that the bomb squad can see it gives a cache a chance of not being blown up.

Archiving caches - In Texas there were caches put out long ago by the Texas Geocaching Association. These caches were in counties that weren't occupied by cachers at the time. When it came to maintenance, any cacher could perform it it as there was no one nearby to do it. A lot of these caches are the earlier year ones. IMHO, it is better to take care of these older caches than archive them so people have a reasonable chance at completing the Jasmer Challenge. However, for newer caches, if there are a few in the area that will meet the needs of that month, and no one wants to take care of the cache, then archive it. It's all a judgment call.

And with only 1 cup of coffee in me that's all I can remember.

EWB - Tom

hidegoseek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:

I also use a Mac and cannot use GSAK. I used MacCaching for a while, but it seems that the application hasnít been updated for a number of years. Then I found iCaching on the App Store and it does everything I need for geocaching. (Except find the caches for me.) It regularly gets updated with new features, and the developer (Marius) is very receptive to suggestions for app enhancements. I especially like iCaching for sorting out qualifiers for challenges. Now when I travel I load an iCaching custom cache list into my GPSr that allows me to stop for caches that satisfies a challenge (or two, or three) without the distraction of a thousand other caches along the route. (Yes, I used to want to get them all.) Shocked iCaching doesnít do everything GSAK can, but itís an easy, intuitive geoapp for the Mac.

bearhugger1972

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject:

hidegoseek wrote:
I also use a Mac and cannot use GSAK. I used MacCaching for a while, but it seems that the application hasnít been updated for a number of years. Then I found iCaching on the App Store and it does everything I need for geocaching. (Except find the caches for me.) It regularly gets updated with new features, and the developer (Marius) is very receptive to suggestions for app enhancements. I especially like iCaching for sorting out qualifiers for challenges. Now when I travel I load an iCaching custom cache list into my GPSr that allows me to stop for caches that satisfies a challenge (or two, or three) without the distraction of a thousand other caches along the route. (Yes, I used to want to get them all.) Shocked iCaching doesnít do everything GSAK can, but itís an easy, intuitive geoapp for the Mac.

There's an app called igeoknife available on the App Store. Not sure how useful it is for the Mac, but could be worth a look for ipad / iphone users. http://www.smudgygames.com/iGeoKnife.html

saltercreaserangers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject:

Found this tip for GSAK on the Mac from "sduck"

"Two ideas if you need gsak functionality on a mac -

I too have tried crossover, vmware, bootcamp, etc. The bootcamp solution works the best of those, but it's also a pain to set up and switch between.

I currently run GSAK in a native mac os app, that lives in my dock, and works mostly similar to a native mac app. How - winebottler. I don't recommend this to anyone who isn't fairly technically proficient, as it takes a bit of trial and error (and/or web sleuthing) to get it set up, but once you do, it works really nicely. It's not a complete solution, - all kinds of little parts of the complete gak experience don't work right, depending on how able you are in setting up wine extensions, but for basic use it works well. I can load up a big collection of pq's, perform all kinds of filtering and sorting and such, and output a nice little gpx file I can load on my oregon easily.

Another native mac app that has a quite a bit of gsak functionality is iCaching - find it in the app store. It takes a bit of getting used to, as it works in different ways, but seems to be fairly complete, and still has an active developer - it's not abandonware yet, like so many mac geocaching apps. "

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the great feedback on some of the questions, everyone. We'll include some of your comments on future shows!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: