PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 430

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Show 430

The conversation continues here...

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Show 430

Sandy wrote:
The conversation continues here...

ftp

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject:

I used to lock the keys in my former Nissan truck every so often. Happened caching once for sure that I remember. Used a screwdriver to pop out the back window. If my kiddo was with me, I only pullen out the rear window enough to get to the sliding window. She could go through the sliding window. If not, I had to take out the whole window for me to get in. Taking out the window? Seconds. Putting it back, several minutes. Probably looked like a car jacker in training.

wanzong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Garlic Festival Munzee Scavenger Hunt

Thanks so much for promoting the Garlic Festival and Munzee Scavenger Hunt! I'm really looking forward to Friday when all the festivities begin!!

TAZ427

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Locking keys in the car.

Been listening for a couple years now, but got really busy after Geowoodstock XI and just not coming back to catch up. Listening to the story regarding locking keys in the car, and I had to reply.

Until I started Geocaching, I had never locked my keys in the car. Not to bad considering I was in my 40's when I started to cache. Well after starting geocaching, I locked my keys in the car twice. First time I put my keys on the center console while grabbing some TBs to put in caches, I jumped out of the truck hit the lock button shut the door and Ooops. Thankfully I had my phone on my hip and was close to home. 30mins later my wife brought me our spare set of keys.

The second time, I was about 70miles from home, preparing to launch a Kayak to go after some caches. Being the goodlooking and intelligent individual that I am I of course toss my phone, keys, and wallet in a drybag. I put it on the front seat while I'm grabbing my PFD and paddle out of the back seat of my truck. I move them to the back of the truck and close the doors, and once again lock the dry bag in the front seat that has my Keys, Wallet and Cellphone and I'm 70miles from home.

I was at the park for Geocaching Kayaking event, which we were going to go downstream to grab caches on the bayou, but I wanted to grab some upstream first so I was there about 2.5hrs early.

Thankfully, a fellow cacher was there that had the same idea, and had a phone. I call my wife and she makes it out (not happily) to me 1.5hrs later with my keys.

I thanked her, while Kirbydox from whom I borrowed the phone tells my wife that I owe here some diamond earrings for doing this. That cheered my wife up.

The next day I made a copy of my key (no chip - just unlocks the door.) I didn't have a hide-a-key and the Home Depot that cut my key was out of them. I figured I'd pick one up soon. The following Saturday we had a Geocaching White Elephant Gift Exchange party which I got a 'Hide a key' container (among other things)

It's been over a year now, but I haven't locked my keys in the truck since then, but I'm now prepared just in case I accidentally do so.

Team 57

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Locking keys in the car.

TAZ427 wrote:

Until I started Geocaching, I had never locked my keys in the car. Not to bad considering I was in my 40's when I started to cache. Well after starting geocaching, I locked my keys in the car twice. First time I put my keys on the center console while grabbing some TBs to put in caches, I jumped out of the truck hit the lock button shut the door and Ooops. Thankfully I had my phone on my hip and was close to home. 30mins later my wife brought me our spare set of keys.

I have heard, but never tried, that you can call home, hold your cell phone near the car and have your wife hold the spare keys near her phone and hit "unlock" from the remote at home. Supposedly, it will unlock your car.

But like I said, I have never actually tried it myself.

TAZ427

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking keys in the car.

Team 57 wrote:
TAZ427 wrote:

I have heard, but never tried, that you can call home, hold your cell phone near the car and have your wife hold the spare keys near her phone and hit "unlock" from the remote at home. Supposedly, it will unlock your car.

But like I said, I have never actually tried it myself.

Thanks, but I'll have to add that one to my Urban Legends list. While it sounds like a great idea, it's not possible due to many reasons. Here are just some of the reasons. Frequency used in Key Fob (They operate in the MHz range - Most are either at 315MHz or 433.92MHz) is much higher than mic in cellphone could sense, also the frequency is much higher than the G.7xx CODECs used in cell phones would be able to encode/decode. The frequency is much higher than what the speaker could reproduce. The mic, codec and speaker are usually built for < 22KHz.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: