PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 458

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Show 458

The conversation continues here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Downloading now

Team 57

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

As for the "missing day" question, I would say that since you never really saw the actual day you missed, I would still count it as a continued streak. If I needed to log one of my Saturday or Monday finds to get the computer to recognize that my streak is still active, then I would have no problem with that.

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Show 458

Sandy wrote:
The conversation continues here...

Live by the philosophy - it's all good, so when a throw down happens and it robs you of an FTF, well, that just doesn't seem sporting.

Maybe the podcacher forum can weigh in - here's the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4P3JF_cpcs-366-days-of-the-year-challenge

Understand an FTF isn't recognized by GroundSpeak, another topic for another thread, but even when the truth was revealed, the throw down cachers didn't change their log to a note ... can certainly empathize with your caller on Show 458.

Team Geo-Rangers Sad

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

I can't say I've never replaced a cache before without owner's permission (thinking back I know for sure once, but I bet total is less than 5). But I would NEVER replace a cache when it has never been found. Just because someone can't find it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: FTDTFTF

Electric Water Boy wrote:
I can't say I've never replaced a cache before without owner's permission (thinking back I know for sure once, but I bet total is less than 5). But I would NEVER replace a cache when it has never been found. Just because someone can't find it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Right, this was a FTDTFTF - First To Deny The FTF (by a throw down). Suspect the throw down cachers stopped their vehicle on top of the placed cache, explaining why they didn't find it! Have been caching over ten years and this is the first time, and hopefully the last time, that ever happens. Satisfied that Team Ottlet came by to uncover and reveal the mystery.
Moving on ...

BrianSnat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: throw downs

As a cache owner throwdowns are an inconvenience. In recent years I've had to make numerous extra maintenance trips to remove a throwdown because someone couldn't find my original container and left a film canister or pill bottle behind. If they can't find it in five minutes they assume its missing and leave their trashy containers.These throw-downers act as if they are doing the CO a favor but it's just a self serving act. They want that smiley find or no find.

Then I had to deal with irate "geocachers" who were angered because I deleted their bogus found it log. Sorry but they didn't find a thing and they made more work for me. If you can't find it, log a DNF and move on.

Years ago this practice was virtually unheard of, now with the huge emphasis on numbers it's become all too commonplace.

newnik29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Micros in the woods

Thank for addressing my question on the show!
I recently avenged a DNF that was a MitW. As a DNF it was one of the first 25 caches I searched for and was from the same timeframe as the time I asked you guys the question. This gave me a very good opportunity: I was able to seek the same cache twice - once as a newbie and once as an experienced cacher. Here is a short list of the lessons I didn't realize I have learned:
- If you learn that it's a (name that container), assume it's camouflaged. The above-mentioned cache was a pill container and the rookie-me was looking for something orange. Silly, silly newbie.
- Learn to assess attributes. In this case, "Winter Friendly" means it's off the ground and not likely in a hole that faces up. You'll learn the other attributes in time.
- Understand difficulty and terrain. With a low difficulty rating, winter friendly probably means waist-to-head high. High difficulty, likely, means tree-climbing or evil camouflage.
- Some examples of camo for micros in the woods:
~~camo tape or paint
~~in a log or a stump or the hollow of a tree
~~set into a hole drilled into a tree, the side of a stump, or in the end of a branch.

Yeah, imagine any ol' branch on the ground: drill a hole straight into the end of it and set a bison tube into the hole. That's just mean.

I know these are slap-your-forhead, simple tips for most of us. Fact is, most of us need to be reminded that we didn't know these things in the beginning. I think it's good to put tips like this in writing again from time-to-time. Call it "breadcrumbs for the newbie cachers". Smile

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

Doesn't matter how long you've been caching or how many finds you have - some times you just miss them. Yesterday I missed a keyholder on a fence. I know I looked right at it, but I missed it. GF came right behind me and grabbed it. And yet a few weeks ago I was the one who found the tiny black micro on the end of a cut branch of a tree that had a screw in it so a magnet could be used. Go figure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: