PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 475

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Show 475

Chat about the show here...

pacholik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Downloading in the PodCacher app now

Electric Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Trackables rant.... UGH!!!! I had to stop listening and reply.

I hate when I'm on a big road trip, I pick up a trackable or two, and before I've had a chance to log it, someone has marked it missing or left a note on the cache page saying it is gone. Yeah they're gone, they're sitting right next to me! Not everyone caches with a smart phone logging stuff the second it happens. And those that don't log when it happens, we don't always get to log that evening or even the next. So... When you get the urge to mark someting missing, wait a week. If you think it is still missing then, then you can log it.

This also brings up the problem of not letting caches die when the owner gets out of geocaching. The person who quit and left everything in the field isn't going to respond to emails saying stuff is missing. They don't care, or the email is dead, or sadly maybe even the CO is dead. But until that cache is archived it will show stuff there that isn't if the trackable owner doesn't show it missing. And trackable owners quit as well, so there may be no one to mark it missing. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now. Going back to listening.

hidegoseek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Electric Water Boy wrote:
And trackable owners quit as well, so there may be no one to mark it missing. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!
Missing trackables has long been a problem for geocaching, and now with new players using the free intro geocaching app it’s getting worse. Many newbie cachers apparently have never visited the website and don’t know how to log trackables, and without verified email address you can’t even contact them through geocaching.com.

As a last resort, if the cache and/or trackable owners don’t respond to requests to mark the item as missing, one can contact Eartha at Groundspeak who can execute that task.

Perhaps Groundspeak can borrow a feature from Munzee whereby if two searchers mark a Munzee as “could not locate” or “needs repair” the Munzee is automatically put into maintenance mode. Then, if the Munzee is not scanned within 30 days, it is automatically archived. Something similar could be used in geocaching to automatically mark trackables as missing and remove them from the cache page.

Also, Jody mentioned that one cannot add a note to a trackable page without the tracking code. Although a box for the tracking code is on the log page, it is not needed when posting a note.

Sonny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Good points! Thanks for the comments.

ProfessorZoom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, great to know about the Coursera course - this will make #3 for me!

TAZ427

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Catching up on the shows which I haven't had a chance to listen to in a couple weeks.

I wanted to comment on the Tunnel of Light - Going APE Event. Sonny suggested that you may not need a Flashlight when going through the tunnel because of the amount of people.

Having done this two years ago at the Going APE event (and will be going again this year.) I would have to highly recommend bringing your own flashlight.

If not you really need to be CLOSE to somebody w/ a flashlight. If the person you're relying on for a flashlight is 10' in front of you, and pointing the light down the tunnel, you'll find yourself to be in complete darkness. You won't be able to see your hand in front of your face or the floor beneath you, or no how close you are to the walls, which trust me you don't want to be touching.

I'd actually make sure everyone in your group have a flashlight on them, they don't have to all use them, but the need to have them handy incase someones batteries goes out not that I've every had such an issue while walking through a tunnel over 2miles long Rolling Eyes

Team GeoRangers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject:

TAZ427 wrote:
Catching up on the shows which I haven't had a chance to listen to in a couple weeks.

I wanted to comment on the Tunnel of Light - Going APE Event. Sonny suggested that you may not need a Flashlight when going through the tunnel because of the amount of people.

Having done this two years ago at the Going APE event (and will be going again this year.) I would have to highly recommend bringing your own flashlight.

If not you really need to be CLOSE to somebody w/ a flashlight. If the person you're relying on for a flashlight is 10' in front of you, and pointing the light down the tunnel, you'll find yourself to be in complete darkness. You won't be able to see your hand in front of your face or the floor beneath you, or no how close you are to the walls, which trust me you don't want to be touching.

I'd actually make sure everyone in your group have a flashlight on them, they don't have to all use them, but the need to have them handy incase someones batteries goes out not that I've every had such an issue while walking through a tunnel over 2miles long Rolling Eyes

Will Forest Adventure Passes be required at that end of the tunnel for parking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: