PodCacher Forums Forum Index
 PodCacher   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Show 85
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Show 85

Sorry for the delayed show, everyone! Happy New Year!!!

Here's a place to discuss the new show...

bass_chaz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:

WOW. You placed the TB just 32 miles from me...
(11 miles from my work)
Alas I have to work tomorrow or Id go get it...
I JUST MIGHT go and take an extra long lunch and grab it...
(or get up early and snag it)
Looks like you had fun in the snow..
Welcome to my world...

Last edited by bass_chaz on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Koda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Good show. It's just not the same without Sandy sitting there as co-host. Thanks for mentioning my 400th find in Mexico, it's cool to hear your own name on a Podcast.

bass_chaz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:

What I use to Hone in on my hides is to take several walks towards the cache and then mark it, but then I use Google Earth, and upload the waypoint and fine tune it... (that is if I want it to be right on..)

sacred6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

This is my first post here. I found podcacher surfing the apple itunes music store. I have geocached for a few months and wondered if there was any podcasts on geocaching. And since I am only 13, podcasts are very tricky to find that I like. This one and this show has appealed to me above all other geocaching podcasts. Thanks Sonny, and Sandy for producing this podcast and I hope that you will continue this podcast for a long time. Very Happy

imfrog2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, to start the new year off, I found out that I wasted 2 CD-RW disks. D: Okay, not WASTED, but still... I burned the podcast on to them, thinking that I could erase them and put a new one on later... NOPE. x_x It is using CD-RWs as CD-Rs. Sad I HAVE to get a new sound card (or an iPod) before I run out of CDs. Sandy, Sandy, Sandy... 2 inches? That's NOTHING here. xD I've been looking for caches that are buried under about 2 FEET of snow. Razz I guess to a Californian, it would be a lot. I know how bad coords are... I've found MANY caches that are 30-50 feet off! (DANG IT! Batteries died. This CD player is horrible. *falls over* *re-listens to the whole episode* Wait... YES! Found the fast forward! O_O Oh great. It only burned 3/4 of the episode!!!! NOOOO! *kicks the horrible CD burner*) I'll be getting back to you on my comments for the rest of the show later!

GCF SLC FTW! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

xpunkx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

sacred6 wrote:
This is my first post here. I found podcacher surfing the apple itunes music store. I have geocached for a few months and wondered if there was any podcasts on geocaching. And since I am only 13, podcasts are very tricky to find that I like. This one and this show has appealed to me above all other geocaching podcasts. Thanks Sonny, and Sandy for producing this podcast and I hope that you will continue this podcast for a long time. Very Happy

welcome to the forum and the podcast....I hope you enjoy it

geocachingpodcast.info - The First LIVE weekly podcast about geocaching

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

imfrog2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to the forums! Have fun! Well, S&S... This has baan a pretty bad first day of the year. My CD burner ALSO went kaplooey. I'm re-formatting my old hard half-toasted hard drive on my old computer with a working sound card, so I'll be back later... hopefully!

GCF SLC FTW! Very Happy

bass_chaz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

imfrog2002 wrote:
Well, to start the new year off, I found out that I wasted 2 CD-RW disks. D: Okay, not WASTED, but still... I burned the podcast on to them, thinking that I could erase them and put a new one on later... NOPE. x_x It is using CD-RWs as CD-Rs. Sad I HAVE to get a new sound card (or an iPod) before I run out of CDs. Sandy, Sandy, Sandy... 2 inches? That's NOTHING here. xD I've been looking for caches that are buried under about 2 FEET of snow. Razz I guess to a Californian, it would be a lot. I know how bad coords are... I've found MANY caches that are 30-50 feet off! (DANG IT! Batteries died. This CD player is horrible. *falls over* *re-listens to the whole episode* Wait... YES! Found the fast forward! O_O Oh great. It only burned 3/4 of the episode!!!! NOOOO! *kicks the horrible CD burner*) I'll be getting back to you on my comments for the rest of the show later!

Dont frett...
It took me 4 tries to get the thing downloaded...(i download direct to the computer so I can burn them from 1 location on the (LARGE) drive..

imfrog2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Haha, I FINALLY got my old computer to work, and I didn't have to totally re-format it! xD I'm back on my computer, with actual speakers. Very Happy I recently hid a cache, and it had some great coords, from what I heard. I just stood over the cache and just constantly marked it. 10 times, then moved, walked back, then another 10. I would definitely suggest turning it off and back on. We do that if our GPS is bouncing while finding a cache, and it usually brings it back to where we are. I don't have an auto-average feature, but I do it by hand, and it seems to work VERY well. I also check in Google Earth, but that isn't always the best for me, as the pictures tend to be off. I'll have to try that picture trick. Hmm... Project 365 sounds cool! I'll be doing it for '07! I have a camera phone, so that'll be easy. Very Happy Oh man, Sonny. I hope you get over the allergies soon! I get them a LOT, so I know they're not fun. Just wondering... did you guys actually use cell phones with speakerphones, or something? Because, that would've been hard to do through recordings... *cough* Hmm... maybe we'll find out later... Try and get that TB over to Salt Lake (or anywhere in Northern Utah, I'd drive a ways to get it!) That would be a cool one to log. We get used to gloves when you spend almost half of the year caching in it. xD HA! I was right! xD I can never tell with you two... Great Show, again!

GCF SLC FTW! Very Happy

Lostboy1966

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Is it just me, or did Sonny sound downright glum this episode? He only seemed to perk up when Sandy finally phoned in.

Poor guy…I think he was lonely. Wink
Sandy, take him with you the next time you travel!

Happy New Year to everyone!

bass_chaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Ya and if you come out this way again, Im taking you to dinner...(and NO not mcD's)..
BTW Sandy, The snow is ALL GONE now..
I guess you were the reason it snowed that day. Saturday I believe it was. It rained all day New Years day so it all melted and it made for an easy find under that tree stump..
Problem was there were more than 1...
There were like 3 or 4 stumps in the same position....GPS was pointing to it but after I left the trail, I was on my own...

If you want Ill send you some snow when it returns, and it WILL...

FluteFace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Taking coords +

Well, I gotta say that the show just wasn't the same without Sandy physically being there. I missed you!

I think that accurate coordinates are probably the most important part of a cache. As I've become more experienced, I suspect I've become more obssesive about it. I really hate searching for a cache that is 100' or more off. Even 30' can be a problem depending on the cache.

I do very much like Sonny and Sandy do -- I approach the cache site from several different directions (four is ideal but often not possible) and take readings. I usually take three readings before I approach from another direction, and usually do this whole routine at least twice, and more often if I'm in the woods or under a tree. I often end up with 2-3 dozen readings. My GPS also averages, and I'll eventually learn how to use that, too.

Then, at home, I take all the readings and put them into a spreadsheet, throw out the few readings that are obviously off, and then let the spread sheet average and round the last three numbers of each coord. Those are the numbers I use in the final.

I'm sure that reading all of this makes the process seem cumbersome, but it's not bad. I think accuracy is part of what makes the game fun. Who wants to look for something that isn't near where you're searching.

Spindoc Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject:

When I hide a cache I sit the GPS down for a good five minutes. The longer the GPSr sits there the better the chance it has of getting a good reading. If possible, I get the reading on two seperate days.

If there is a lot of interference from trees of buildngs, I make the hide a bit more intuitive as the co-ordinates aren't likely to be 'spot on'.

When finding a cache, I find the same thing happens. If I sit the GPSr where I found the cache while signing the log, it more often than not zeroes in on the co-ordinates.

In Australia (and I'm sure it happens elsewhere), I get annoyed by caches hidden in 'random' locations. For example, somewhere randomly in a pile of rocks, or under leaf litter. I don't mind a cache that's challenging to find, but not one that requires turning a location 'upside down'.

LABBOO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for covering my milestone S&S!

Hide coordinate accuracy:
I've always taken at least 3 readings approaching the hide from different directions and then "averaging" them together. Usually I do 3 reading each with 2 different GPSr's - this used to be an eTrex and an eTrex Legend but not it's the Legend and a GPSMap 60Cx.

Some of the other cachers near us will send another cacher out to check their coordinates before finishing their post of the new cache. The other cacher can sign the log then but isn't allowed to claim FTF. For me, this has come in handy when the reviewer has questioned the location of my placement (too close to RR tracks, questions about terrain, etc.). It helps me get the perspective of another cacher so I know if I'm ok or if I'm just a crazy goat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PodCacher Forums Forum Index -> Show Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: